Anyone here ever get caught speeding here in Japan? I'd be interested to know the circumstances etc.

My g/f who is an elementary school teacher has just told me that she thinks she might have been caught (flash on the expressway, perhaps camera?).

She then proceeded to tell me that if she gets caught 30km above the limit then he salary might be reduced by 5% for a few months. That seems totally ridiculous but she seems to believe that.

Yep got caught by a camera when I first got here. But go off.

There are signs pointing the bloody things out, so besides being a dumb gaijin that didn't know the things existed, I really don't see how people still manage to get caught!

I got caught by a police car when I was driving though the city (in Kyushu)at about 4:30am, no cars around so I was doing about 100km/hr in a 40 or 50 zone.

Quite funny cos the police car caught up with me and started shouting through his megaphone to pull over. I asked my friend if she thought he was talking to me and she pointed out that I was the only car on the road!

Anyway when he realised it was a gaijin he put on his best accent and said,

"Please show me your driving licence"...

words that, a few months earlier, I had taught him at the Police Academy! We were both struggling to keep straight faces as he told me to be more careful and went back to his car.

Most camera`s in Japan are fake. just to make people think twice. the general rule of thumb is, if they look like they are easy to get to then they might be real. this is from a friend of mine who is highway patrol.

he also quashes my tickets as I have been caught speeding many times but never by a camera.

Anyway I believe that they might suspend your license for a month if u get caught but not salary docked. she is a public servant? well maybe there are different rules for that.

there's a full set of penalties for teachers. I had a look at them once. basically if anybody is killed in an accident that you're involved in then you're fired.

One kyoto I know was caught drunk driving and he was suspended for a couple of months...but he still got most of his pay -> sounds like a reward to me!!!

1 month after leaving Japan I got a speeding ticket.

My nextdoor neighboor was pulled over by the police driving 180km/h in his Porsche on his way back from Fuji-san. He got a big fine and wasn't allowed to drive for 3 months.

At least he had fun doing it.

Originally Posted By: spacefrog
Most camera`s in Japan are fake.

They're not fake, they rarely have film in them.
A roll of film goes very quickly and all the people busted usually have to come in on the same day at the same time to verify the pic.

Alot of people get confused by the traffic cameras and speed cams. There are a few traffic cams that look dead set like speed cams that are directly above each lane rather than on the side of the road in boxes. I can see how people might be confused by them, but there must be a warning before the cam, so if there isn't then it's not a speed cam.

I really love the 20-30km+ allowance that they give you here! I've been busted in Oz for 63km in a 60 zone... mad.gif

I got done doing 31km over and didn't have a valid license (my international had expired). I had to go to court in Otaru and got a 4 man fine for the speeding but was let off on the license because they accepted I had forgotten about the international one expiring (which was true) and I had got my Japanese license in the meantime.

Originally Posted By: Indo
 Originally Posted By: spacefrog
Most camera`s in Japan are fake.

They're not fake, they rarely have film in them.
A roll of film goes very quickly and all the people busted usually have to come in on the same day at the same time to verify the pic.

Alot of people get confused by the traffic cameras and speed cams. There are a few traffic cams that look dead set like speed cams that are directly above each lane rather than on the side of the road in boxes. I can see how people might be confused by them, but there must be a warning before the cam, so if there isn't then it's not a speed cam.

I really love the 20-30km+ allowance that they give you here! I've been busted in Oz for 63km in a 60 zone... mad.gif

Well wrong choice of word. That`s what I meant if it looks like the cam is easy to get to then it probably doesn`t have film in it. the actual cams that do have film are very few.A lot of them are just empty shells without the even the mechanism. And I can tell you this on authority from the highway patrol themselves. for example on the higashi kanto express way just at the toll booth that cam is live. reason is that it`s close to highway cop shop, some 100m or so

You guys are warned before the camera even comes into play with nice friendly signs. only excuse for getting caught is by the patrols or adhoc roadside traps.
 Originally Posted By: soubriquet
Great stuff.

One of my nicked's was in Germany, on the Autobahn. The other was on an empty dead straight road between Kalgoorlie and Perth. 500km of desert.

hahaha, my mate got nicked on that road, he was travelling from Perth to Adelaide, he hadn't seen another car for a day and half and the first one he saw was a cop car pulling him over for speeding!!

i thought you could go like the clappers in germany?

i spent a few months in germany and for what it's worth, i didn't think people drove faster there than anywhere else in europe

I was driving a truck in Germany. It was on a steep descent, and anything over 3 tonnes was limited. As I was driving a prime mover without a trailer, there was no problem with brakes, so I was gunning it down the hill.

There are only some sections of autobahn without restrictions. I've been buzzed by heavy metal doing 200kph+. It pays to check your mirrors very carefully before changing lanes.

That was quite an eventful job. It involved ferrying two trailers from London to Frankfurt and back, and trucking loads from storage to the Frankfurt exhibition centre and back.

Driving bobtail has it's hazards. One night in pissing rain the back end aquaplaned and the truck turned sideways. My truck steering was about 15 turns lock-to-lock, and it took three lanes plus the hard shoulder to get it straight.

It was so cold, the airbrake bleed valve froze open and dumped all the air. I just managed to get onto the hard shoulder before I was frozen stopped. I was kipping in the cab in two sleeping bags whereas the properly winterised trucks had central heating. Plus fuel tank heaters to stop the diesel turning solid.

spacefrog, Well I guess you could call them fake if they have no film in em!

Similar thing happens here in Nagoya with the cameras closer to the police HQ having film in them more often than the one's further away.

With all the effort they go to to try and warn you that there's a cam ahead and with them hardly ever having film in em, what's the point of the damn things? Under cover cars are not even that hard to spot, and yesterday on the way home I saw someone pulled over by a actual patrol car! Now, you'd have to be blind to miss that! Or maybe some people just drive with their eyes closed.

you'd be amazed at the wide selection of taxpayer funded cameras that are not used in the UK. Fatso, Gatso, Shitzo, UR-Nicked, Filth-Eye, Pig-Squeal3, Plodshot, flatfootnmouth, fuzz buzz, and the list goes on.