A new Backcountry Boardroom feature, "Avalanche Awareness", has been put online.

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/boardroom-9.html

"The 19th of February 2000 was not a good day to head into the backcountry of the Japan North Alps. A long spell of cold clear weather had given way to a relentless three day storm from the northwest - a storm straight from Siberia that continued to gather moisture from the Sea of Japan while dumping great amounts of snow in the bowls of the Hakuba Mountains. The ridges were swept clean by the high winds, thus consequently creating a very uneven depth of snow and pockets of unstable wind slab over the steep lee slopes. A faceted layer created by the previous long spell of cold and dry weather lay trapped deep in the loaded bowls and just beneath the surface and around rocks on the wind scoured ridges. Cornices were loaded and heavy. That day was a blue bird day with a light breeze and mild rising temperatures. Avalanche-prone slopes were in prime condition to slide as the day progressed; all they needed was a trigger."

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/features/boardroom-9.html

Please note that the views expressed in any Features on Snow Japan are not necessarily those of Snow Japan.

(Mention this article on Snow Japan when you contact Evergreen to get a diiscount on avalanche equipment rental or sale.)

Discuss it here.....

This is not to critisize, but on the 2 or 3 times I have read av safety stuff I am always left trying to work out what the 'lee side' of the slope is.

Is it the side that is protected from the wind? ie, wind from the west = east slope is the lee slope?

Very good (and sobering) article.

For prices follow the link. 2 courses, basic 20,000y and the advanced 50,000y.

My housemate informs me that your definition is correct. He is the font of all knowledge. I believe him. :p

Yes,

Lee side is the protected side where more snow is accumulated = more powder = more possibility of unstable layer.

The common sense, yes that would be the first thing for me. Sometimes I hear cracking sound of snow while we hike up, and that is the sign of stress somewhere in the snow.

After all, even an extream experienced Kelly even gets caught in one.

Sensible steps would be to look at what your hiking up and compare it with what your planning on going down. If the Whumping or cracking is on the slope your hiking/skiing up well then you should probably think twice about going down that same route and maybe finding a protected way down.

The "lee side" is the side away from the direction of the wind... It is where the snow that gets blown off the windward faces gets deposited on the leeward faces. This loads (overloads)the leeward faces with more snow before the natural snowfall has time to settle, and thus can cause unstable snow conditions and a higher risk of avalanches.

Leesides offer great powder at a high price. Most leasides are best skied in dense wooded areas. Do not ski a leaside wooded area that has an avie path above it, the slide will flow through the trees. Some great resort sking is on the leaside but it is controlled. If you hear Whomping you should think about heading back period.

There have been many more deaths in Japan than just those mentioned in the article. You can't stave off the BACKCOUNTRY HUNGER! Those boarders died doing something they loved so much and there's no shame there. ...now they board when they want to.