Mississippi bridge - close call!

See the news about the collapsing bridge near Mississippi. I was driving over that same bridge just about a week ago.... close call! The photos and video that was caught of it looks crazy, looks like a big earthquake.

I went to a huge camp in Tasmania in 1975/76 when I was about 13. We were in Devenport but did a trip to Hobart where we toured for the day and later in the evening drove over the huge bridge and while we cam off the bridge the lights all went out.

We drove back to where we were staying to find out that a huge ship had brought the bridge down. What we saw with the street lights going off was the accident happening behind us. A minute or two delay that day could have seen our bus go into the river as well.

Originally Posted By: SG
 Originally Posted By: Indo
Now that's close!

What bridge went down in the US?

where have you been indo? big news last week that one

I was just being silly! laugh.gif

Just spent a week in the twin cities. That's my home turf. One of the deceased worked with my brother-in-law, she was from my home neighborhood, held the funeral at my church. I didn't know her.

I drove that highway all the time. weird. On this trip, we just followed the bipass through downtown, around the wreckage.

One of our trips downtown my wife asked me; "So... if it didn't collapse last week, we'd be on it now?" "Yup."

It was really creepy after passing the wreckage via the bipass, then getting back on the highway, southbound, and seeing an empty freeway next to you as northbound traffic was rerouted a bit further south. you drive about a mile before seeing northbound traffic again.

Originally Posted By: Journey Man
<snip>
Minnesota Bridge
<snip>

Just looking at the images from the link above and found this one:

0781211433_ap_collapse801f.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong - but doesn't that look like a blue Police Box sitting in the middle of the picture???

No dude, that's a family mini-van with a wheel-chair lift.
 Originally Posted By: samurai
 Originally Posted By: Journey Man
<snip>
Minnesota Bridge
<snip>

Just looking at the images from the link above and found this one:

0781211433_ap_collapse801f.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong - but doesn't that look like a blue Police Box sitting in the middle of the picture???

No dude, that's a family mini-van with a wheel-chair lift.

behind it though!?? WTF

that's a port-a-potty. There was construction going on at the time of the collapse, that was probably for the construction workers. Can you imagine being in there taking a mean crap when suddenly the bridge collapses! That would be one nasty dry cleaning bill!

Originally Posted By: SirJibAlot
that's a port-a-potty. There was construction going on at the time of the collapse, that was probably for the construction workers. Can you imagine being in there taking a mean crap when suddenly the bridge collapses! That would be one nasty dry cleaning bill!

Ick! I much prefer the Doctor Who conspiracy theory!