Extremely overweight people (the ones who inflict it on themselves)

I've noticed someone else mention this in another thread. I'm back in the States at the moment and one thing I notice more and more every time I come back is the size of people in general. I'm sure the average size gets dramatically bigger each year. There are some obscenely huge people walking about. I can understand that there may be some that have a medical condition that makes them like that, not sure what it is called, but the majority are surely just greedy pigs with no control over their eating. You often see them waddling down the road with 3 tyres round their waist, looks difficult to walk, and usually with an ice cream or burger in hand.

I just don't know how people can let themselves get like that.

Surely there must be a point where they notice hey, I'm getting big here perhaps I shouldn't consume 7000 calories a day?

Whats it like where you are?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Curt
I've noticed someone else mention this in another thread. I'm back in the States at the moment and one thing I notice more and more every time I come back is the size of people in general. I'm sure the average size gets dramatically bigger each year. There are some obscenely huge people walking about. I can understand that there may be some that have a medical condition that makes them like that, not sure what it is called, but the majority are surely just greedy pigs with no control over their eating. You often see them waddling down the road with 3 tyres round their waist, looks difficult to walk, and usually with an ice cream or burger in hand.

I just don't know how people can let themselves get like that.
Surely there must be a point where they notice hey, I'm getting big here perhaps I shouldn't consume 7000 calories a day?

Whats it like where you are?

fat bastarditis???

seriously, yeah Its getting worse. Scotland has the worst heart disease and stroke levels in the world apparently (per head of population)
I actually heard that Australia has a worse obesity rate now than America (again as a % of population) Its certainly the western diet of fatty fast food and bad education in kids that is continuing the slide towards fat bastardness

It's true that education and fatty fast food are important but I think a lot of it is down to laziness and poor self control. It's also a bit of a vicious circle as the fatter you are and the worse you eat, the less energetic and motivated you feel to do something about it.

I often hear people making the excuse that healthy food is too expensive i.e. it's cheaper to go to Macdonalds than to cook with fresh vegetables at home. While this may be true, from a purely size (and not other health issue) point of view why not keep eating the junk, but just less of it?

If the people who claim to be poor ate less, perhaps they wouldn't be quite as poor!

I had been involved in the fitness industry in Oz at one stage. It's funny to see the Japanese woman say they are fat when an Aussie girl would love being that size. I miss a good pizza but I am going out tonight knowing that I will consume probably a third of the calories and enjoy my meal as much. I hope the japanese realize the problem is on there doorstep and do something to stop it occuring. Just remember fat people are just like you and I just without the discipline. I have a mate who has a preference for fatties too so don't be to hard.

I am a big fella and its not always due to junk food etc, lets face it the town I live in does not even have a Macca's or KFC.

I have always struggled with weight, I swim daily, I ski better than 95% on any mountain and I only eat around 2500 calories a day. I get upset when I get dumped into the Lazy indisiplined group because of my weight, I work hard at being fit and eat balanced meals but I remain laarge.

Such is life

ASB, There's a difference between being a "big fella" and obesity. You probably could lose a bit from what you say but I can't imagine that being so active and body conscious you for fall into the catagory of the thread title.

Perhaps you only need 1500-1800 calories a day. It might be a hard not being able to eat what you want but I think in some ways being at the opposite end of the spectrum is more difficult.

One of my friends (a triathlete) needs 3,500 to 4000 calories a day. He eats 5 means a day. It really is a hassle for him cos he always has to be so aware of his diet. If he misses a meal he loses weight! There is a J-girl at my company who does no exercise, is under 5 foot tall and slim. She eats over 4000 calories a day and has trouble working because she literally doesn't have enough time during her breaks to eat enough. She even limits where she goes out and with who as she doesn't want to hold people back by having to keep stopping for food.

Actually, I wouldn't class myself as thin at the mo either! I'm 5'3" and usually 52 or 3kgs which is pretty skinny but was 65 after giving birth last October! I lost most of it very quickly but seemed to stall at 58. I don't think people would look at me and think I was fat but being used to being 52, 58 feels huge!

Disipline me jane. Lose that last 5kgs ;\)

I can do with losing a bit of weight myself, but I'm active enough. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week, play football on Fridays , hit the beach and swim most days off (albeit leisurely) and in winter try to board as often as my wallet will let me.

But you are right Jane, that it is laziness. Because you have to put in a wee bit of prep work with veggies, many ppl will just avoid them. But that also comes into education because then many people don't actually know how to use the veggies that they buy. Get nutrition and sport in the forefront of our kids education and I think that we will be going some way to combatting this problem

All comes down to what you're happy with as me jane said.

I'm @ 85 now, got there from 95 last year. The first 2 months I went hard out exercising but was enjoying it. I lost all my weight in those 2 months and now just keep it off. I don't even have to try hard to do it as I've just cut out the shit (beer, sho chu and wine ISN't shit!).

I eat 6 meals a day 2000-2400 cal a day. brekkie snack lunch snack dinner dessert.

Check out the abs diet. I swear by it! not a diet but a good healthy plan. I only use the principles and it's great.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Dunno, 6 meals sounds wayyyy excessive. 3 for me only and I cut out the shit like pizzas, hotdogs, fried chicken, ice cream, dessert,

Not excessive. If you were to put all the food you consume in a day together and instead of splitting it three ways you split it six.
There is one simple rule. Calories consumed v calories used. If you use more calories than you consume your body will find the energy in the fat that you have stored. There's thousands of different diets. The one thing they have in common is they make you aware of what you are eating and create discipline. ie I won't eat that chocolate because it is not in my diet.

i don't know jack about calories, but will look it up later as it sounds vaguely interesting.

i'm skinny and reasonably fit and i eat constantly. i probably eat 5 medium-sized meals a day. my body just needs it, plus i loooove eating and really enjoy munching tasty food. i'd never deny myself something i wanted - if you want to eat deep fried icecream, then do it and enjoy it, just burn it off later. i limit processed and junk foods, and pretty much everything i eat is freshly prepared fruit and veg. i reckon i'm a pretty good cook and i make the time to prepare everything from scratch. but i don't freak too much about it either. sugar and junk food make me feel shite, so i don't eat them that much, but don't feel guilty about munching a packet of biscuits or drinking 6 beers and devouring a lump of cheese.

other than eating fresh and healthy food i reckon the key is to be generally active. doing something simple like walking rather than driving short distances keeps me feeling good - i walk to and from work each day (about 80 minutes all up)

there's a whole bunch of people in my office on all sorts of diets - a popular one at the moment is where they supply you with all your food for the week in little plastic bags. besides the fact that it looks disgusting (it resembles airline food) it seems completely pointless to me - how can you take no responsibilty for what you eat and simply be fed like a child? and how are you going to understand the difference between healthy and unhealthy food?

the thing that gets me is all the endless studies into "fat genes" or diseases which could explain the obseity criss. for once i'd like to see a newspaper headline which reads "balanced diet and moderate exercise found to be the key to reducing obseity"

as i am starting to get a bit older, it's interesting to feel my body change and slow down slightly. although i'm only 27, i can't punish my body like i could when i was 21. i'm realising more and more that in order to feel good it's important to keep active and eat well. eating fast food just makes me feel terrible the next day. your body is a machine - you get out what you put in

I really don’t think anybody here is arguing that eating well is bieng well and eating crap is being crap. You are what you eat.

I just wish huge profit machines will look into their conscience (some chance when you see $$$$$) and not target their obesity causing fat foods at kids. Golden arch marketing bastards who are targeting our kids and us having to “deprive” our kids of fat, heart disease causing junk.

We are responsible for the health of our kids, buying a kiddie happy meal just so that they can have the toy and letting them even look at all that greased up food is giving them the message that uncle Ronald is on our side. He is infact, like all clowns, a mass murderer.

Thursday. Will you not allow your kid(s) happy meals?

I'm not a big fan of them but every now and then we do buy our boys one, mainly it is the toy they want!

I think not allowing something, like maccas etc will backfire in the end. Maybe once they hit their teen they might go crazy for it as they can get it by themselves.

Everything in moderation (though, one day my son's might ask me if my Alcohol consumption is in moderation ;\) )

i am scared of clowns too. they freak me out

it seems a bit simplistic to lay all the blame can't lie with mcdonalds etc though. if people want to eat junk, then that's their choice. people refuse to take responsibility for their actions, and this irritates me...

i guess now there is a mass obseity problem with the associated strain on the health system that governments will try and crack down on unhealthy food.

i would think that they would target the way food manufacturers label their food as healthy, when in fact it is anything but. labelling of food seems to be the likely conclusion, in a similar way that cigareetes have warning messages.

i would also have thought there could have been a mass tort suit. i'm suprised there hasn't been a high profile US case yet.

true spook.

I know people who don't eat maccas because it's bad but you should see what they put in their mouth! I think they'd be better off going to Maccas!

Learning to read the labels will dis-spell myths and is the key to finding out what you're putting in your gob.

Clowns really freaking freak me out too. They have this huge mouth that looks like they’ve already bitten off somebody’s head and look as if you’re next.

It is entirely the fault of those who take the action. If you decide to take an action for a child, it is your informed choice and you are telling the child this is the way to go. I’ll not do that for things I believe they’d be better off without.

When marketing is targeted specifically at children to brain wash them into thinking happy meals means happiness cos you get a toy, then that riles me. Kids are not experienced to make an informed choice. Just like that crazy camel ad. What the hell, a cartoon camel to sell cigs to children. Sick.

I agree totally on the toy bit in the happy meal. That is just pure marketing on the part of the big corporation. Trying to establish an association in the mind of the kid. Maccas = Toy = Fun.

But, Thursday, wouldn't you say it is better to occasionally take the kids to maccas while explaining to them that it is an occasional treat which isn't actually very good for them, rather than outright denying it. Hopefully this approach would help them learn a bit about moderation and also the unhealthy side of it. When they are really little, you're right, they wouldn't really understand the difference, but once they get a bit older they would. Outright denial may well just lead to them going much more once they are teenagers and can go by themselves (as someone pointed out earlier). In my mind, teaching healthy eating habits shouldn't exclude everything bad, but include it on occasions so that kids can learn some discipline.