1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I dont understand tobacco. Maybe somebody can explain it to me. You smoke something that makes you addicted, on purpose? Right. Why not just try Crack? At least youd really be facked up. Nicotine, I just dont get it. Really. It makes you smell like ass. You waste money on shite. You cant quit. You make others sick. Sounds like fun to me, no really it does. crazy.gif wakaranai.gif

I used to smoke. I quit for a while, then smoked occasionally, then quit fully and completely several years ago. Now and again I think, "I could really go for a smoke", but I don't, because....

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
.... It makes you smell like ass. You waste money on shite. You cant quit. You make others sick.

I think the reason they don't is because its hard as **** to quit. Nicotine is reckoned to be more addictive than heroin and look at the problems that Skag Junkies have trying to get off that!! Also, its more than just a physical dependency, its also a social dependency. Certain situations trigger feelings and pangs for a smoke because they have been experienced over and over in the past with a smoke, so re-inforcing that behaviour, a kind of Pavlovian reaction. As I said before, the UK has taken steps to counteract this social dependency by banning smoking in all public buildings (inc. pubs, restaurants, football stadiums, council buildings, shopping centres etc etc). So now these social situations won't be associated with smoking and the reinforcement will fade over time, giving the person more control to NOT smoke. Not that I'm a smoker by the way, in fact I hate it. The smoking ban was the best thing that ever happened to the pub in Scotland.

yeah quite right.

Lung cancer in a smoker, brings to mind smoking.

Lung cancer in a non-smoker, brings to mind second hand smoke from dead smokers.

Give smokers a choice, give them the choice to pay for their own medical exepenses at cost or not smoke. Give them the choice of giving their faimly members lung cancer through second-hand smoke or the choice of not smoking.

To the smokers:

1) Are you aware just how abhorrent your smoke is to non-smokers?

2) Do you give damn?

A few weeks back I went to a kids park. It was full of toddlers - 8 yr olds. There was a sheltered bit which was full of mums enjoying the shade, breastfeeding the babies, snacking etc. Some guy turns up, sits down in the middle of everyone and starts smoking. Over half the people left and went and sat in the park, despite the harsh sun. I wondered whether he was either incredibly ignorant or incredibly selfish.

I didn't start up smoking until I started living in Japan (at age 34!). In Aus I had occasionally had a smoke whilst at a party or something but never actually bought a packet. Here it is just so incredibly cheap I started getting into it and now smoke up around 15 a day.

Now of course I know it's bad for me but I must admit that I don't exactly live my life worrying about things like my health. Plus, my somewhat twisted way of thinking rationalises the cancer risk of smoking by looking at most smokers, who start in their teens, they don't usually start getting cancer until their 40's or 50's. So generally you've got 30+ years from starting smoking to getting the cancer. My guess is that in 30 years time we'll most likely have found a cure, so I'll be ok clap.gif

At least here in Japan you aren't made to feel like you're some sadistic freak for daring to smoke in public. One thing I really hate here in Niseko is that most of the foreign run restaurants and bars have banned smoking. As most Japanese smoke, and especially enjoy a smoke with their dinner or whilst drinking, it has effectively meant that these bars and restaurants have hardly any Japanese customers. Now I consider that culturally insensitive! \:D

Highly unlikely there will be a cure in 30 years but you could always offer yourself up for medical research.

;\)

I wouldn't say that "most Japanese smoke" but a fair number do and whether to make all bars no smoking or not is something lots of people feel strongly about. These days I think they should all be no smoking. Five years ago I wouldn't have cared either way as long as they still sold beer! Me Tarzan runs a bar and he is very anti smoking ban (in Japan), despite quitting himself a few years ago.

Its the best thing that happened to bars back home. Suddenly you could go into a bar have a few pints and leave and you didn't smell like a week old ashtray. You can see people clearly, instead of through the haze, you don't cough up greeny-yellowy phleghm the next day, in fact the only bad thing is that now the bar smells like stale beer, piss and sweat!!! Need stronger air fresheners, but hey, 1 step at a time!!! \:D

Originally Posted By: me jane
Highly unlikely there will be a cure in 30 years but you could always offer yourself up for medical research.
;\)

I wouldn't say that "most Japanese smoke" but a fair number do and whether to make all bars no smoking or not is something lots of people feel strongly about. These days I think they should all be no smoking. Five years ago I wouldn't have cared either way as long as they still sold beer! Me Tarzan runs a bar and he is very anti smoking ban (in Japan), despite quitting himself a few years ago.

Ok maybe I exagerated on the 'most japanese' bit. Currently it seems about 50% of men and 15% of women smoke in Japan.

I am pretty confident though that they'll find a cure for cancer in the next 30 years. Still doubt I'll be smoking all that much longer as I've made a committment to my wife to give up when she gets pregnant.

One thing I have found too is that ex smokers are usually the most rabid of the anti smokers out there.

Finding a cure for cancer is a priority, so too for Parkinsons, Altzeimers, ageing......

Having found a cure, would it be morally right to priritize self inflicted lung cancer candidates over those who are truly unfortunate.

Quote:
Currently it seems about 50% of men and 15% of women smoke in Japan

I think I read somewhere (it might have been -ken related) that the numbers were something like

40% men
20% women

Unfortunately seems more younger women smoking.

Here in the UK people are now complaining that Beer Gardens are becoming Smoking Gardens and want smoking banned outside.

As a non-smoker seems fine with me that, but its like "whats next"?

smoking in beer gardens? Beer gardens are for drinking beer.

All municipal parks and country parks are designated no smoking areas here in HK. Offenders will be imprisoned for a max 6 months.

Well with smoking not allowed in the pubs, smokers are going outside. Lots of pubs even have heating and lights going on outside now for them. So many beer gardens are indeed becoming smoking gardens and non-smokers don't like it. It's the "next thing".