And then Rasmussen fell (and the Rabobank team with him)... there won't be much of a traffic jam on the Champs-Elysees at this rate. Are any of these guys clean?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Cadel is and that's why he was struggling to keep up with Ramussen.

Thank god he's out. Might be too late though as if he was gone, eht situation would have been very different for Cadel and he would have been deservingly in the yellow jersey after the TT the other day.

Not reslly. Champs like Armstrong and Indurain were tested and tested over and over again. Sure Rasmussen didn't test positive during the tour but him missing off season tests then trying to lie about where he was at the time makes him guilty in my book. If he wasn't taking something, why go to all the effort to miss the tests?

He should never have been allowed to start le Tour. All this was talked about before the start, and during the first few stages, he was kicked off the Dutch Olympic cycling team for those missed tests. The tour organisers should have taken action then, not waited for Rabobank to do it for them.

A cloud is over them all. I'd like (as an Aussie) to believe that Cadel is clean, but how can I? Remember Martin Vinnicome?

Yeah might seem like that but spare a thought for all the clean guys who have had it. UK boy Wiggins was 4 days out from Paris and has to head home now because one of his spaghetti team mates hit the juice.

The penalties are hopefully going to get increased to life bans soon.

Contador takes the Yellow with cadel close behind. Contador sounded like he wasn't so well tonight so lets hope Cadel can pull a biggy out in the TT on saturday night.

They're all on some kind of juice. Remeber that some of those that got expelled were not even close to 1st place in the standings.

I just wonder if cycling gets more of a bad rep because they actually do catch cheaters.

There are so many sports out there with people high on illegal juice. Sports has become a big business and peeps are willing to risk their health and reputation to get a slice of the pie.

I think athletics should give a call to the cycling union on tips about controls.

By the way, seems they may pull cycling out of the olympics as well...

Valid points Serreche but I think also there is a different mindset about doping in OZ cycling & Euro cycling. I know about the OZ system because I went to the ASI and they were so hard core about it.

Maybe that's why we don't have as many stars (in events such as the tour) and the tend to struggle?

Still think we might have a close finish. Who are you backing?

oh and regarding the Olympics.. I doubted that they would pull and here's an article I just found.

"No plan' to ban cycling from Olympics

Friday Jul 27 22:24 AEST

Banning cycling from the Olympic Games was not being considered as a response to the doping scandals shaking the sport in the Tour de France, International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Jacques Rogge said.

"To exclude the sport from the Olympic Games is not a solution," he told reporters during a visit to Belgrade which is currently hosting the Youth Olympics.

"You have to put everything into perspective. What is happening now in the Tour de France is first of all a sign that the mentality of the athletes has changed drastically, and rapidly," Rogge said.

"Secondly it is also proof that the system is working well - because if people are caught positive it's that the testing is very accurate and the testing is very good."

Rogge said the IOC planned to help the International Cycling Union (UCI) "as a trusted partner" to improve the sport.

"It is not the UCI that is cheating. It is the riders who are cheating," he added.

Some companies sponsoring Tour de France teams, such as Rabobank and France's Cofidis, are reconsidering their involvement in the sport because of doping scandals plaguing the world's greatest cycling race."

There have surely been these issues for a long time. Why has it taken them so long to (try to?) get their act together? Strikes me as being bordering on ridiculous.

I like the young columbian rider Indo. He has proved himself in the mountains like all his columbian predecessors. It is good to see some fresh and unexpected talent pointing its head. He may be the next Delgado.

Contador? Yeah he's proved his worth even though he's beating Cadel!

He was way more exciting in the mountains and that's where Cadel lost the race. Will be interseting to see if Levi tries to take 2nd place. He's already said that he won't try.

Apparently the australians are trying to set-up an all oz team for next year. They think they can get the yellow and green jersey in the same team. They only need funds, although some has been pledged already. The recent scandals are not helping with sponsors though...

The 23 seconds Evans lost by is the second smallest margin ever in the 104 year history of the tour.

Actually when Lemond won in 89 he won by 8 seconds!

I think the closest margin this year has to do with the top 3 riders being within 31 seconds of each other.

I doubt the Aussies will be able to get a team together, if they did they would have to take some big pay cuts then get a wild card.

i just saw the higlights on the news.... what's the deal with people not challenging on the final day - is it tour de france etiquette? ot is there absolutely zero chance that evans could have made up the 23 seconds?

Usually the tour is won by the TT the day before. The 8 laps of the Champs-Elysées are a pretty intense criterium where the peloton can usually catch anyone as all the sprinters teams want the final victory. They usually travel at about 55-60kph, so to get a break going you'd need to be able to hold 65kmph for an hour. Also the Discovery team is so damn strong bar Contador crashing yesterday They would never have let it happen.

There is the etiquette, or at least a long-held tradition, that the yellow jersey isn't challenged. The final stage is for the sprinters, and a "lap of honour" for the yellow jersey. I was more worried that Leipheimer would try and make up the 8 seconds Cadel had on him, but even before the stage, he reassured Cadel that there would be no challenge for 2nd. Imagine that, a code of honour among cycling professionals.

And inevitably, some German has come out of the woodwork to claim he knew of Contador using drugs last year...

I was thinking the same about Levi challenging for 2nd too.

Why didn't this German come out sooner, he was cleared last year of involvement with that team but he say's he's got documents that prove otherwise. Who wants to win the tour if you can't stand at the top of the podium in Paris. Would suck if it happened that way.

I suppose he was waiting to see if Contador won, there wouldn't be much publicity for him if he outed the third- or forth-placegetter... who knows the motivation of these people?