I know there are loads threads comparing Niseko and Hakuba, but what about Niseko compared with the other places in Hokkaido. I'm planning a New Year trip to Hokkaido and figured just to go to Niseko, but would I be better going to Furano/ Kiroro/ AN Other place?

thoughts

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Hokkaido goes it's hard to beat Niseko for size, varied terrain, accommodation and apres ski options. Plus from Niseko it's easy to head out and ski at other resorts close by like Niseko Moiwa, cat skiing at Niseko Weiss or head over to Rusutsu for almost guaranteed freshies.

Furano and Kiroro are much smaller and have limited off piste options. They are not really resorts you'd want to spend much more than a few days at.

Just a note though, if you want to come to Niseko around New Years then you better get it booked real soon. The xmas/new year period is one of the busiest here and accommodation gets booked out real early.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
As far as Hokkaido goes it's hard to beat Niseko for size, varied terrain, accommodation and apres ski options. Plus from Niseko it's easy to head out and ski at other resorts close by like Niseko Moiwa, cat skiing at Niseko Weiss or head over to Rusutsu for almost guaranteed freshies.
Furano and Kiroro are much smaller and have limited off piste options. They are not really resorts you'd want to spend much more than a few days at.
Just a note though, if you want to come to Niseko around New Years then you better get it booked real soon. The xmas/new year period is one of the busiest here and accommodation gets booked out real early.

yeah, I figured that, I have already made some enquiries, hoping to tie it up pretty soon. Cheers for the tips, maybe see u at New Year \:D

Furano gets a lot of stick here, but if you aren't especially adventurous and more or less want to stay on piste, I think it's great. Nice mountain, great views, pleasant village and it is more or less the coldest place in Hokkaido - colder than Niseko, certainly.

Horses for courses, as they say

Yeah its interesting you say that. I'm not exactly that adventurous, not because I don't want to be boarding through waist deep powder through the trees and catching some air off of awesome jumps, its just that my ability level just now is quite low. I can go down the mountain picking some decent speed and doing some great turns but tricks etc are a bit above me right now, so maybe Furano would be up my alley

Originally Posted By: Ezorisu

Kiroro is moderately expansive, but lifts are inefficient and snow is either really good or really bad - luck of the draw.

Is that because it is on the ocean side of the range and more affected by wind and moisture?

Rusutsu get a thumbs up from me too.

Furano is a beautiful place and the town is great. The skiing terrain is well suited to intermediates and there is often good powder to be found near the edges of the runs (without heading into the trees) and there are a few runs they don't groom. That said the two ski areas of Furano are only about as big as Grand Hirafu. At Niseko you've also then got Higashiyama and Annupuri ski areas. Then right next door you've got Niseko Moiwa and Weiss and Rusutsu is only 45min away.

It all comes down to how long you intend to stay and what kind of experience you want. If hanging out with 1000's of Aussies doesn't sound too cool then Niseko is not the place to be in peak season. If you are here long enough you could do both Niseko and Furano.

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Is that because it is on the ocean side of the range and more affected by wind and moisture?

Could very well be - maybe also altitude and sun exposure. I have the feeling that the warm Kuroshio current running up the Nihon-kai side of SW Hokkaido may bring more coastal rain whereas snow may fall just inland. It can be crusty at Kiroro, Asari, and Onze but on the same day be fluffy at Sapporo Kokusai a few peaks inland.

How'd ya find Rusutsu Mantas?

My bro'z coming in Feb and are heading up to Hokkers again for 10 days or so mid feb.

I've done Nis and wouldn't mind checking Rus out.

Ps. you watching Chile CT? Siick!

Just been quoted about 63 grand for 7 nights accomodation, 6 day all mountain pass and airport transfers. What do ppl think of that? A decent price for Niseko at Peak season? Opinions please!! \:D

This is yen!! **** 63 thousand dollars??!!!??? Good one!! This price doesn't include flights, only accomodation plus lift pass and transfers......what do you think now?

Shizenken Backpackers

It's a good price. Shizenkan is a little out of the main village (about 10-15min walk) but it is right on the shuttle route. The owners are really nice and helpful. Great place to stay if you don't mind being a little ways out.

Originally Posted By: Indo
How'd ya find Rusutsu Mantas?
My bro'z coming in Feb and are heading up to Hokkers again for 10 days or so mid feb.
I've done Nis and wouldn't mind checking Rus out.

Ps. you watching Chile CT? Siick!

I loved Rusutsu. It's a great escape from Niseko. We got there after a great dump. I'd love to stay there in the flash resort. A bit exy though.

Chile ????? Where can I see it?

I like it too, nice place. As Mantas says, quite expensive in the main place but there are others nearby.

In respect to the previous post saying that accomodation gets booked up early, I have been getting quotes for accomodation and lift passes, doing it on my own and not through a travel agent, but I'm finding it impossible to get a quote for a flight to Sapporo just now, with the frustrating quirk of Japanese travel companies that you can't book a flight more than 4 months in advance!! So, would you think its best to wait until October and get a package deal (everything included) or do you think I would pay more that way as the cheaper accomodation will be booked up?

Dude this is not auz! freaking relax! Try booking domestic in other countries and see how far in advance they book! You can ride the train up to niseko for peaks sake!

Seriously ask a stupid question get a stupid answer mate really.

You can book for the average rate around 4 monthes before

I can't see any stupid question at all (just a rather ott response).

I'd try asking the places you are in contact with up there TB and see what they say. I know plenty of people who have booked for the same season in December without any problems. Yes I'm sure the peak will be full but..

Good luck.

You need to chill out!!

In any other country you can book a flight up to a year in advance, and I'm quite aware that this is not Aus!!

The query is valid since I don't want to be left hanging, I want to be in Niseko for New Year. Any other post reply has been hinting at the Aussie invasion that will book up accomodation quickly. I thought that was the whole point of message boards, where ppl could ask questions to people who are in the know. If you don't want to answer them then don't read the post! sjangry.gif

obviously I want it for as cheap as possible, so if a flight is cheaper than the shink, then I'll fly. Whats it to u anyway??