I suppose some of the guys and gals here live in the snow and so don't need to make a trip, but for the ones who have to travel within Japan how long do you go for? I can't see me wanting to do anything less than 4 days.

It would be interesting to know how many nights lots of the people from overseas stay for?

\:\)

When I had to travel to the snow, it was ususally 7 nights.

FWIW, it took me about 5 days to learn to ski passably. That was with morning and afternoon lessons. I'd recommend at least five nights for your first trip if you want to get the skills to stick.

Midweek skiing is very nice as things are usually uncrowded.

I usually go for a couple of weeks. This year i got 13 days on snow. I'd like to go for longer but the snow season is right in the middle of my busiest period at work. Also I'd like to go longer if the kids came too.

Next year maybe, smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BettyBoo!
It would be interesting to know how many nights lots of the people from overseas stay for?

\:\)

Here in Niseko most foreigners come for a minimum of 7 nights. Most western accommodation here will only accept a min 7 night stay during peak periods (xmas/New Year and Cninese New Year). Through Jan/Feb they are reluctant to take shorter than 7 night bookings unless it fills a gap.

Foreign skiers are generally much more profitable than local ones. Longer stays mean less changeovers (less cleaning and work) so more profit for the owners. Plus on the whole I think foreigners spend more at local restaurants and certainly at local bars.

I did 14 days at Niseko last season followed by a 10 day tour and next seasn I will be staying for 20 days.

Locally (Aust) I go to the mountain most weekends in season and one 7 to 9 day stay but I own the apartment so its pretty easy. I tend to use it weekends and rent it weekdays.

Will be back this weekend

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Get much snow down there ASB?

We are just over the 50cm mark at the moment (bearing in mind our average base is just 150cm on a good year) and about 50% of the runs at Falls Creek are open this weekend, not bad for the third weekend of the season.

My ski trips are a 2 hours drive away so I could and do sometimes have day trips but they are tiring. I don't see much benefit in a 1 night stay either, so my besto chansu is a 3 or 4 night stay with 3 or 4 days on the slopes.