Ane empty coal ship has been beached off Newcastle (Australia).

Now, according to News.com, this empty coal ship has been transmogrified into a tanker.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21871056-2,00.html

"Tanker beached

Meanwhile coal ship is threatening to leak tonnes of oil off Newcastle's most popular beach after it ran aground during wild weather on the Hunter coast today. "

It's a tanker. Run for your lives everyone, we're all going to die.

Coal is not oil, and a bulk carrier is not a tanker. Don't let facts get in the way of a good scare story. It is an empty ship, but that doesn't go well with Australia's leading media.

Look forward to the rumour they were carrying illegal imigrants.

You've gotta watch out for them illegals.

Back when we stacked them in ships and tied them in columns, they were called slaves. Now they do it themselves and we call them illegals in some failed attempt to say the population isn't growing that fast here.

The "tanker" which ran aground yesterday, was in fact an empty double-hulled bulk carrier waiting to load coal at Newcastle. An official spokespeople said "There is no truth to the rumour it was carrying 40,000 tonnes of illegal immigrants."

Doncha just love a beatup.

Souds- Settle down mate. We have just been hit by the equivelent of a category 1 cyclone!!!!!

One excited journo's misuse of the word 'tanker' didn't deserve your rant. It took hours for anyone to even identify this ship when the story broke.

Over 200000 home and businesses have been without power and phone for 2 days now. (we have just got ours back) Major flooding in Newcastle, 7 people dead, no water to thousand of homes, sewerage spewing into the streets, 5 ambulances got trashed doing rescue work. Swells of up to 17.9 meters lashing the coast. A empty bulk carrier ( which has about 100000 litres of oil and fuel inside ) sitting on one of the cities beaches getting hammered by these massive swells.

In short. Total Mayhem!

This was Boat Harbour, where I live (50-km north of the ship wreck site) on Friday

DSCF0499.jpg

DSCF0498.jpg

This is my Mates house

DSCF0497.jpg

This is deep inside Boat Harbour. Normally where kids play and people launch their boats!

DSCF0460.jpg

Some pretty severe weather going on there!

Originally Posted By: Mantas
Swells of up to 17.9 meters lashing the coast.

lol.gif Don't you love how in all the mayhem they can get that to within 10 cm of a meter. I mean, why not just go for 18??

Australia goes from drought to flood without passing Go.

I like it here. Today was cool and wet with a soft rain. Every square cm of soil is bursting with vegetation. I don't miss that barren bare red soil.

Things have settled down a bit now. Man what a storm!

I've never experienced anything quite like that before. We got off pretty lightly. A few trees down in the backyard (unfortunately one of those trees had the kids tree house in it.), some minor flooding in the house and no power for a few days.

Some people have lost everything. My brothers house got trashed, water up to the hieght of the beds!

I took the kids down to see the Pasha Bulkar on Nobbys beach on Monday, it was amazing to see this massive ship sitting almost high and dry on one of the beaches on a popular city beach. I was listening to the events unfold during the storm on the radio. What you probably didn't hear was that 2 other ships put out SOS calls and almost ended up on the beaches as well. One came within 300m of the beach. Not that supprising really as there are nearly 70 ships waiting offshore to get coal.

This is a photo I took on Monday

DSCF0524.jpg

No worrys Soub, I dont doubt the Media was going for shock value. I'll keep you posted on the salvage operation. It should be interesting. The ship is hardly damaged and they'll try to 'pull' it off.

Glad you're okay too. My Brother lives near Gosford and he too got a similar outcome.

It was very considerate of the Tanker (Bulk Carrier ;)) Captain to park it so close to shore so the illegals could disembark without getting wet sandals.

Well it's still there!

The big salvage effort is under way. The next big tide is in 2 weeks time.

they are going to put the ships 2 big anchors out to see and use the winches as well as a couple of the largest tug boat i've ever seen. There is also some kind of sand blasting going to go on under the ship.

The salvage crews are giving no guarantees of the operations success. the seas have not let up for 10 days now. They can't gat a good look below the water. Another storm and huge swell is predicted for this week too.

At least i've been getting some decent waves from all this. \:D