Spook, before the world cup here, the Japanese police did these ridiculous riot training scenarios for the expected hooligans (which never eventuated). It was laughable, and I highly doubt whether they will be able to effectively control a large violent crowd of foreigners all that successfully.

it's not as if hokkaido on its own shouldn't be a enough but you know this is japan and travel costs being what they are, i have hesitated in going up till now. this might just give me the added incentive i need.

Originally Posted By: daver
hokkaido, a good ole' pepper spray and billy club confrontation, entertaining soubs.

I just lurve to see people being beaten up by police. Second only to a Bruce Willis film. The most entertaining thing to come out of North America.
 Originally Posted By: thursday
Pepper spray is a waste of...... pepper. If you put piss in those sprays, then that would be guranteed to get them running.

i don't know, the demonstrators are strong enough to withstand the foul stench of the company the G8 summit caters to, i think they would hold up just fine.

i suspect it will actually be quite tame. that is of course unless the authorities have a problem with people peacefully demonstrating. i doubt the hardcore anarchists will show up. how many do you know of in japan? for that matter, how many people do you know in japan who have even thought about the negative aspects of this current model of globalization? how many people do you think have even thought about globalization beyond which LV bags are available in Paris and not Tokyo? but thursday has a good point that the korean farmers are likely to turn up in huge numbers.

i know about 5 japanese anarchists here, and i think they are planning on attending. They are pretty thoughtful people, and not the 'black bloc' types that dominate TV reports.

But on mixi, the 'anarchist' community is about 1000 people! I wonder how many of them actually are...