Buses are just not as good as trains are they. Is the service from Nagano to Hakuba regular and sufficiently supplied? (I am there by car).

Back to that original question was there ever talk of a link up train to Hakuba?

They'd only have to tunnel through another 30 k's of mountains or something.

Even the Japanese weren't prepared to waste THAT much money after building the shink as far as Nagano.

I rather like having to catch the bus after the shinkansen - it really feels like going properly into the mountains that way. And given how busy Happo is on a mid-season Saturday with the current arrangement, imagine what it'd be like if there was a 'Gala'-type shinkansen station at the foot of it...

If the economy continues to pick up it's not likely to happen. In Japan, construction projects happen for one of 2 reasons.

1) Economy sucks so Japanese government increases construction projects to stimulate the economy

2) Minister of _________(fill in dept.)takes big kick-back from construction company and greenlights project.

Since the Minister of Farming and tatami got busted for kick-backs and hung himself - I think #2 is going to be on hold for a little bit.