No idea. I'm guessing probably not... but who knows...

CB there are some lawyer offices that you can deal with via phone/fax/email without having to go and see them in person. PM me if you're interested I can pass you on the number of a place someone has recommended for that.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: me jane
 Originally Posted By: Bushpig
But if you are not leaving Japan for say 5 years, then you don't have to get the reentry permit. You don't have to keep that valid unless you wanna go out and then come back into the country.

I think for anyone with family or other close ties outside Japan it's probably better to keep it up to date. I keep mine up to date just in case there is a family emergency and I have to go home suddenly.

Doesn't seem very logical to give you PR and not a PMRP.

This is Japan Mejane! ;\) Who said anything about logic?

If you are travelling a lot then you will naturally need to keep the rp up to date. But that once every 3 years isn't too bad.

I know once every three years isn't that bad but I mean if you've gotta go to that place to do the MRP you can just as easily do the visa at the same time. So I still don't get what the advantage of PR is wakaranai.gif

also, you don't have to go through the trouble of proving you have a contract and sponsor(employer) every 3 years. Makes changing jobs, even if teaching jobs, much easier. You can pick up part time work, private contracts, etc. without having to prove you are earning over 25 man a month.

Originally Posted By: fjef

You can't get bank loans without one....

Oh, I should apply soon then. I am planning on doing a Masters course from Australia next year and was going to get a loan for it & pay upfront rather than in installments incase the exchage rate changed and it became too expensive.

Master of Teaching - not ESL, but to get a regular primary school license. It's distance learning through Charles Sturt Uni in NSW.

You've all convinced me! Downloaded the forms. Going to immigration next week.

just re-applied for another 3 year visa and also applied for a permanent residence permit/Visa. Will find out in weeks or a few months if I do get PR visa. would be nice to get the PR visa and not have to worry about always going back every few years.

Me Jane, A Masters of Teaching from NSW sounds good but I'd been hoping you'd say you were doing a Masters in Applied Linguistic with Macquarie. That way, if you become famous I'd be able to say 'I went to the same Uni as Me Jane!'

The general rule is 10 years, but they make exceptions for people who are married to Japanese. A mate I work with got his after 5 years back in Japan with his Japanese wife. He had lived here a number of years before, but those years count for zero. They count it back to the last time you were living out of the country.

Originally Posted By: Fattwins
last time at 4 years they told me to go blow right off the bat. at 7 now but that is still a bit early so fingers are crossed.

Id be surprised if you didnt get it this time around...Im hoping I can get it next Spring as itd save me the hassle!

they told me that after my 3 year spousal one runs out then I should go for the permanent one. I might go for it at the end of next year so that I use the final year of my 3 waiting for the eijuu to come through