My PR application took six months till grant.

You can get a bank loan without it, but it does help.

While you still need a re-entry permit, that is just a rubber stamp you can get in a few minutes with no further documentation. To extend your visa, you've got to go twice and gather all your tax details beforehand. That's the main hassle you save with PR. The only downside I hear is that you can't claim back any pension contributions when you go back to your home country.

Without wanting to wish misfortune on anyone, all manner of things can happen to jobs, relationships, etc. in the future. If you want to stick around, it's wise to get it if you qualify.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The only downside I hear is that you can't claim back any pension contributions when you go back to your home country."

"I think you're also liable to paying taxes here if you work overseas."

Is this info all written up somewhere? Can you give up PR if you decide to go home & then have the above two not apply?

I got my PR a few years ago.

It was really really easy and really really quick. That's maybe because I'm married to a J national?? I got quoted 6-10 months and took about 2-3 months! Just the luck of the draw I guess.

I think the get around with the 3 years re entry is that you might be able to get new re entry visa's in your home country from the J embassy. I'm not really fussed as i'm not intending on living in Japan for many many years to come after I leave anyway.

also they say you need to get a PR to get a loan but I7ve never had to show my visa status when getting a loan yp to 2 mill. Maybe just for a bigger purchase like a house?

For all of you that think this is a hassle, i never got 1 question from Japanese immigration, yet dealing with my wife's OZ permanent (which cost us 80,000 7 years ago.. now more than 120,000yen just to apply) having 2 boys & a husband holding OZ citezenship wasn't enough to get a re entry permit!

It's only the 3 yearly gaijin tax that sucks!

Well I know a few married to Japanese people (two of them teachers) who took 8 months or so to get their permenant. 2-3 months sounds like one of the faster instances for sure.