I was just reading about the Niseko thread and people mention "tree ski".

I think I can understand it is skiing in the tree area, but can somebody explain what is the attraction of it?

Trees provide shelter from stong winds and so the snow will often be less packed down (think deeper) than above the treeline. Also trees provide more challenge as you'll have to concentrate a little more so as not to hit them. The trees are often incredibly beautiful covered in snow and rime and it's just plain nice skiing down through them. And most importantly off piste skiing is all about exploring and finding lines that few others know about to get fresh turns in the powder. Niseko wouldn't enjoy it's current success if it wasn't for it's open off piste policy because frankly the on piste options are not exactly that exciting.

Aka most foreigners come to ski in Japan purely because of it's famed deep powder. You can't enjoy that powder by only skiing on groomed courses, you need to get out there in the trees! thumbsup.gif

Quote:
most foreigners come to ski in Japan purely because of it's famed deep powder. You can't enjoy that powder by only skiing on groomed courses, you need to get out there in the trees!

What all those familes?

Certainly there are some who aren't keen on heading into the trees but for the vast bulk who come here it's all about trying to find some fresh lines in the powder. That means heading off piste into the trees. Of course in peak season it's now becoming pretty hard to find fresh lines in Niseko. I'm just thankful that the majority of Japanese skiers stay on piste.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you. I think trees also me also - I try to avoid them!

I was surprised this last season at top of Nozawa. Usually the top is clear view across toward Nagano - this season there were trees there - they were not covered by lack of snow.

I love tree skiing here in Australia the gaps between the trees are much tighter so you really have to concentrate, its one of the reasons I like many wear a helmet.

In Niseko the extra space between the trees makes skiing there at a higher speed through the trees in the powder incredible fun.

My family would love to go to Furano but while they keep everyone on the runs and out of the tree's its a no go zone. A huge number of the Aussies at Niseko would agree with this.

The bottom line is skiing on the runs is fun but it offers little challenge, plotting and finding your way through the trees is very exciting and when you get it wrong, well tree's dont move much.

Try it out on some of the flatter areas first, there are some great spots to get used to tree skiing at Annupuri

• 3 weeks later...