I have noticed English on tshirts here that can be quite startling at times, especially when kids wear them. Saw one quite recently that a kid less than 10 years old was wearing that had "Too Drunk To F***" (without the stars) in huge letters on it. I wonder if the parents bought it for him? And what might that have thought it said.

A while back, I saw a "young'un" with a shirt - I think it said "Octopus Army" or something to that effect - with the depiction of a grinning lavendar cartoon octopus injecting himself with an intravenous drug.

Most have either no clue or the cultural stigma doesn't penetrate as it would in a country where English is the standard. Store fronts are the same; "Lil Bitch." "F*** You" are two existant stores in Yamagata. I had students come to class with Horse Sh*t written above a very pleasant farm scene. She had no idea.

From sports Xebio, I decided to buy my wife a hoody at the moment I spotted it; "Grope blindly in the dark." we like it.

Quote:
Horse Sh*t written above a very pleasant farm scene

I wonder how these things actually get made? You know the thought process in designing a t-shirt with "horse sh*t" written on it. lol.gif Perhaps it's some gaijin 'consultants' having a larf

I like that site. I like the baby shirt that says; "I cry 'cause daddy drinks." Anyway, those are bought by people who understand the joke. Whereas here in Japan, there is often quite the misunderstanding.

I'm going to surf that site again. I think that guy got all sorts of death threats for the post 911 shirts he was making, like- "I [airplane} New York."

some of those shirts are over the top, but they are damn hilarious. I wanted to get the one that said "I'm the REAL fater of Anna Nichole's baby" when that drama was going down and wear it while snowboarding - would have been classic...

saw a lady with two little kids with "Cum!" written on the front of her t-shirt, and "a great sensation for all parties" written on the back. I am sure she didn't know what was written on her shirt, cos she seemed like quite a respectable young mother.

Originally Posted By: Bushpig
saw a lady with two little kids with "Cum!" written on the front of her t-shirt, and "a great sensation for all parties" written on the back. I am sure she didn't know what was written on her shirt, cos she seemed like quite a respectable young mother.

You, Ian, and I used to go trolling for those shirts down the Hondori didnt we? laugh.gif Some of the ones we saw and bought were nuts. People have no idea what theyre wearing but think its cool cuz its in English - some of them can be shocking too.

i saw a middle-aged lady in Utsunomiya wearing a t-shirt that said "Don't Be a Cold Bitch".

Which is a close second to my favorite shirt, a huge Mr. Clean logo, with tiny script above it that read "Don't F*ck With"

I thought the one that the mum of three I saw was quite good:

"Bollocks"

in huge letters. That is such a great word.