I found a centipede (mukade?) in my bathroom today. Was quite shocked but happily he (she?) made a quick exit down the drain, followed by a LOT of water lol.gif

Got me looking it up on the web.

Quote:
Yes, centipede really does mean "100-footed," and yes, some centipedes actually do have 100 feet, but no, not all do. In fact, some centipedes have more than 100 feet, and some have as few as 30.

That is just so cool.

Think how cool it must be for dude centipedes checking out the legs of babe centipedes.

Didn't know this though:

Quote:
Some species are highly venomous but only one human death has ever been recorded

Cool.

Quote:
Like the millipedes, centipedes are highly segmented (15 to 173 segments), but with only one pair of walking legs per segment.

I think they are well cool, but I am not keen on seeing another inside my home.

I'm sure all the Hawaii members have memories of those buggers. I woke up with an 18cm one in my bed once. I woke up because it had bitten me in the small of my back - I thought I had been stabbed or something!

All the sugar plantation ojiisans in Hawaii tell stories of working the canefields and having their trousers filled with them at the waistband at the end of the workday. Apparently, they don't like the sensation of human skin, so they crawl up the fabric inside the pant leg and end up at the beltline. Supposedly, centipedes don't turn around easily, so they just linger there.

I'd be really poor if I was around back then since I'd be burning my trousers daily!

Yup... sometimes more.

A co-worker from my previous career was cutting some of that huge yellow bamboo in his back yard, and when he chopped into one of the dried-up 15cm-diameter base sections, out poured several dozen fatties. Just like a horror flick. Needless to say, I didn't visit his home after that...