There's a really interesting program on the tv here in the UK at the moment called Dragons Den. (I don't know if it is an original idea or taken from somewhere else...)

It basically boils down to people wanting investment in their ideas/companies and making pitches to five self-made multimillionnaires - usually between 50,000UK - 200000UK in return for 10-50% of their companies.

Some are serious, some are brilliant, some are silly, some are just mad. But it makes for great viewing. The Dragons usually end up investing in 0 or 1 idea each week (where there are probably 10 ideas shown).

These are not really representative of the show but fun anyway.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-q_4N5o7ES8

"Keith" is funny:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c9lENam7zbw

I saw a few of them when I was back last summer. Twas interesting indeed. It will be good if they do a "what happened next" kind of review program a year after all the investments happened to catch up on things. (Have they done that?)

• 3 years later...

Was watching Dragons Den the other day and noticed it was "Created by Nippon Television".

Quote:
Dragons' Den is a series of reality television programs featuring entrepreneurs pitching their business ideas in order to secure investment finance from a panel of venture capitalists. The show originated in Japan where the format is owned by Sony. The format, which is now broadcast internationally, was created by CEO/Chairman of Paton Tubulars Jordan Paton.

Quote:
Titled Manê no Tora (Money Tigers), this original version was created by and broadcast on Nippon Television from 2001 to 2004. It was the first entertainment programme in the history of Japanese television that dealt with the concept of business investment. During its three year run, as many as 16 business executives appeared in the programme as Tigers.

Interesting that.

I love this show. I especially love it when the dragons all start fighting amongst each other. We also goggle all the ideas that come on to see if they have taken off or not. Quite a few of them really took off and are HUGE now.

I think the female dragon is an Ice Witch!! omg

They have a few "review" programmes on every now and again but they aren't very detailed.

It would be interesting to know just how much umph they put behind something. After all 60 grand for these dudes ain't much at all.

I find it interesting. Used to like the Australian dude best before he left, Farley I think his name was.

Originally Posted By: scouser

What other big successes have there been from Dragons Den?

There have been quite a few. There was the cold storage courier company. When they went on the dragons den they had 3 trucks now they have a whole fleet and are still expanding.

Pandora's Puzzle (I think that was it) the worlds most difficult puzzle and if you solved it you won a large amount of money.

Next time you watch it google the products and see if they flopped or took off. Quite a few have taken off.

I love it when people just come on with the MOST ridiculous things and get eaten alive and walk away thinking they still have a fantastic invention. lol
Originally Posted By: SKI
What is it like a barbeque sauce or something?

Jamaican Jerk Sauce. Spicy, BBQ-like sauce to marinade meat in before grilling and devouring. VERY tasty!!! yummy
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Originally Posted By: SKI
What is it like a barbeque sauce or something?

Jamaican Jerk Sauce. Spicy, BBQ-like sauce to marinade meat in before grilling and devouring. VERY tasty!!! yummy

You gotta explain what JERK sauce is. Jerk sauce sounds like a creamy sauce.
Quote:
Jerk is a style of cooking native to Jamaica in which meats are dry-rubbed or wet marinated with a very hot spice mixture called Jamaican jerk spice. Jerk seasoning is traditionally applied to pork and chicken. Modern recipes also apply jerk spice mixes to fish, shrimp, shellfish, beef, sausage, and tofu. Jerk seasoning principally relies upon two items: allspice (called "pimento" in Jamaica) and Scotch bonnet peppers (among the hottest peppers on the Scoville scale). Other ingredients include cloves, cinnamon, scallions, nutmeg, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper.

Jerk chicken, pork, or fish originally was smoked over aromatic wood charcoal. Most jerk in Jamaica is no longer cooked in the traditional method and is grilled over hardwood charcoal in a steel drum jerk pan. The wood ("pimento wood"), berries, and leaves of the allspice plant among the coals contribute to jerk's distinctive flavor.