Nutty Bar .... MAY contain nuts

I went round to a friends house last night and was handed a "Nutty Bar" - boasting a large selection of nuts as well as caramel and chocolate on the front label. Yummy.

Looked on the back and guess what it said in big wording

"THIS PRODUCT MAY CONTAIN NUTS".

Not DOES, but MAY.

confused.gif lol.gif

I also got a quote from a company recently for some work to be done and at the bottom it said "The contents of this correspondence does not reflect the policy of the company".

I'm still trying to work that one out.

confused.gif

A good thing about the UK is that food labelling is normally quite informative. Mrs spook is highly allergic to nuts (ie she will die and we carry adrenalin at all times), so when we were living in the UK we found the food labelling to be more useful than it is in Oz.

But yeah, the whole disclaimer situation is fairly ridiculous. They pretty much say anything MAY contain nuts just to cover their backs. We just generally look at the actual ingredients that are listed and go forward from there.

There has only been one incident when some nut-free biscuits caused a severe reaction, possibly because they were made in the same factory as other nutty products.

Until we started going out I had no idea that people could be so allergic to certain food. The most common form of anaphylaxis (severe food allergy) is nuts, and its prevalence is increasing. There’s been a few news stories about schools banning peanuts butter sandwiches for ALL students, because one or two kids have bad allergies. And Spookette doesn’t particularly enjoy flying because when the entire aircraft opens their complimentary peanuts, the smell in the air constricts her throat and she has trouble breathing.

It’s crazy that people could be allergic to food, huh? wakaranai.gif

I think peanuts are from the same family as peas. She’s allergic to:

Peanuts

Peas

Some beans

All other nuts

Chickpeas

And soy! (soy sauce is ok, but tofu is not)

In the 6 years we’ve been together I’ve had to inject her with adrenalin a couple of times.

Is she worth the effort?

Sorry to be crass but these days if I am going out with a girl and she starts listing things she is "allergic" to "phobias" "rules" "what needs to be done" I usually run for the hills.

I have no sensitivity left in me at all these day.

I went out with one Japanese girl, who was ok, but would give me a hard time about insignificant things, or because I had an ingrown toenail and wouldnt go to the doctor instead on home-op (actually it was skiing and ripping my nail off) then when I finally went to bed her, her back was covered with the worst case of atopy. I got so pissed off at her hypocrisy I nicely told her I would never speak to her again.

It’s not like she chose to be fatally allergic to a whole range of food, just so she could be difficult. Being born with allergies is completely different to going out with someone who is high maintenance, is a nag etc etc.

I think we’re talking about completely different things here

mars bars in canada now claim/guarantee to be peanut free. (or traces of peanut free.)

i think this is a fairly bold statement to make. especially considering how sensitive some people are to nut allergies.

all it would take is an mars employee to eat a few peanuts on their lunch break and they might contaminate...but i guess the same could be said about everything. just find it weird that mars is using that as their advertising campaign.

• 3 weeks later...
 Quote:
A good thing about the UK is that food labelling is normally quite informative.
You're right spook there is a lot of info now on almost everything which is a good thing. I noticed in Japan there didn't seem to be as much of this labelling. (Right?)

Not sure we need to be warned of nuts in a nut product though ;\)
  • 2 weeks later...