Neighbours/people who ignore you

You know I find it easier to acknowledge someone walking by on an empty street than not - even if I don't know them well. There's a few people in my neighbourhood who just totally ignore me, even when we walk nearby each other. (A few friends have told me similar stories, so I don't think it's the klingon costume lol.gif ) I'm really bad in awkward situations like that, and often just do a one-sided konnichiwa, but it still feels strange. Surely just a domo or something would be better all round than a stony silence that needs effort.

What do you do in situations like that?

I keep on being polite and well mannered. I can't do anything about them being bad mannered but I find it most strange for people to walk past in situations like that as if you don't exist.

My neighbours are all quite friendly actually. I don't really want them to be more friendly than they are.

I find people in public though to be generally rather rude which I think is not necessary.

I have one neighbour who's always smoking in the stairwell when I leave in the morning & get home at night. I always give him an "ohayo" or a "konbanwa" and I usually get a "Haaai" in response. I'm not really too sure what to make of this - it's not an English "Hi" and it feels like he is saying "yes, you are correct for saying hello to me, well done" or something like that. All the other neighbours are nice enough though.

I have a smoking in the stairwell neighbour as well me jane. I really don't like it actually because the smoke often comes into my place. Just a bit, but bit enough for me to detect it. Smokers are just so inconsiderate. ;\)

it is a mix for me. the mother who lives below me ALWAYS says konichiwa in a super genki voice, and i believe she has instructed her children to do the same. it's nice, she makes me feel welcome in the building.

where as a few of my neighbors are less welcoming and frantically scurry away when ever i am in sight. :rolleyes:

Actually its kinda nice. I live in a house in Nagano with 5 other houses clustered around it, and one neighbor and her baby always says either ohayo or hello when we pass. I dont know their names, but thats the extent of me wanting to know them. My other neighbor, besides the time we gave our welcoming gift to them when we moved in, have not spoken once afterwards. I always get a smug reaction when I see here, but that could be because, the numberous girls i bring over + my bedroom being adjacent to their houses bedroom + paper thin walls = the possiblity they dont like me. Oh well...

FRANK

I just say the aisatsu every time fairly loud. If they ignore me, they are the ones who look stupid not me - its them who has the bad manners.

Theres one old witch here who pokes her nose in everyones business and the kids all hate her (wife caught some putting a semi on her windowsill). She always ignores me so I always relish bumping into her on her patrol of the mansion each morning so I can boom ohayo at her while she struggles with her conflicting desires to ignore me and yet to not look shameful for not doing aisatsu.

Quote:

where as a few of my neighbors are less welcoming and frantically scurry away when ever i am in sight. :rolleyes: [/QB]
Maybe they know that you want to debate about dolphins, whales, or politicians \:D
 Quote:
where as a few of my neighbors are less welcoming and frantically scurry away when ever i am in sight
Ah yes, some of that type near me too. You can at times see them lurking in the shadows trying to avoid a meeting. I have even caught myself doing similar once which I was quite shocked at. lol.gif

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. "

Friedrich Nietzsche

;\) :p

I find in the neighbourhood where I live people tend to keep themselves to themselves a lot. Basic greetings but not much more than that. If there was some disaster I don't think I would recognise lots of them.

I was actually just writing about that when you posted. When we had the earthquake and everyone was outside I didn't really recognise most of them. I found that quite embarrassing. Even so, everyone got on and pulled together so to speak. Since then I make more of an effort to speak to them more and there is a much more friendly atmosphere now.