Drink about 4 litres of warm water or green tea. That will just flush your system out. I know it sounds crazy, and yes, you will need to pee a lot, but whenever I feel like I’m going to get sick I do this and it seems to work.

Thanks!

I've been cranking down lots of fluids and that's helped kick the fever. The nose seems to have subsided on it's own.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a sledge or any other hammer for that matter here, and I can't bring myself to catch the chikatetsu over to Odori to go to Tokyu Hands just yet!

\:\)

Just so long as I'm good for Tomamu this weekend, I'll be happy.

Feeling a lot better after eating. This whole thing started on Tuesday - felt really terrible after getting off the bus at Sapporo Kokusai, but 10-15cm of fresh fall over last Thursday's 20cm begged me to go. Definitely all my fault! I do wonder how bad it would have been if i just jumped the first bus back to town and went to bed early...

confused.gif

Sumi-yaki Gyu-tan for dinner in Kotoni should help kick this cold out of town!

I have never found things that seem to work for a cold and runny nose. It is not always possible of course but I like to get wrapped up in a very warm bed with extra blankets and have an extended sleep. Oh so good.

Getting to a kampo doc has nearly always helped me. The earlier the better of course, though once or twice a doc hasn't gotten it right. The one down the road is great for colds thankfully. It's important to see an actual kampo doc, not just getting advice for kampo off the shelf - cos they need to know your particular symtoms to give the best remedy.

Thanks again!

I found some locally-produced Pseudoephedrine HCL, but ended up not really needing it - the cold subsided just in time. My long weekend at Tomamu went well health-wise (too bad the snow sucked!).

I once went to a doctor here with a bad cold - bad idea. I was given all these packets of things to take that really did not seem to make any difference. I was uneasy about taking so many things just for a cold and from now on will be more wary of going to the doctor. People here seem to go at the slightest cold or sore throat.

Am I missing something...

Everyone refers to cold medicine, and rushes to the doctor here (foreign as well as Japanese people by the look of this thread)...

...isn't a cold a virus? Hence, there is no such thing as 'cold medicine'.

You can take medicine to ease some of the related symptoms, for example paracetamol to reduce the temperature of a related fever, ibuprofen or some other painkiller to relieve the pain of related headaches, antibiotics to fight the bacterial infection of a sore throat, but there is NO MEDICINE FOR A COLD ITSELF!

Doctors in the UK (despite all their other failings) are always trying to get people to NOT see them if they have a cold...

All you can do for a cold is rest, drink plenty of water / hot lemon, and take a massive amount of Vitamin C (such as 1000mg a day - normally any more than 100mg a day would be pissed straight out without having any affect, but doctors seem to think a big dose helps your immune system fight off a cold), and let your body fight it off.

Lots of green tea would probably be great for a cold. I always liked fresh ginger chopped into herb tea as a good decongestant, especially if you drink it in a nice hot bath.

Also, "feed a cold, starve a fever." So usually keep eating healthily and you will help your body fight it off.

Actually the intent of my initial query was just for something to control the symptom of a runny nose. As AK said, you really can't do much about a virus other than let it run its course, but it would be nice (and socially responsible) to not be flinging spiderwebs of snot everywhere!

My hope was that someone would have just dropped the trade-name of a Japanese OTC product. Anyway, after it had already become immaterial, I happened by the chemist on the way to eat the besy gyu-tan in Sapporo and just asked the fellow at the counter for something appropriate. After reading the ingredients, found that I had what I needed and bought it. Not much different than the stuff available in the States, and price-wise about the same. Two days of bedrest is what "cured" me - the medication would have just made me less disgusting when I was out in public!

Perhaps I should have titled the thread "something for a runny nose - cure not cause dammit!"... The "cold" part seems to have thrown a few off.