Maybe i shouldn`t be suprised...

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek Boy:
your precious turtles are next mate ;\)
:p Mate you kid but there was actually a bill reccomended to lift the ban on turtle hunting for food recently. It got chucked out pretty quick but pretty farked that it was reccomended in the first place!! I`ll prep my surfboard for ship ramming!!
 Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
I've been following this through the Australian press. The Nisshin Maru had a fire, is disabled and is expected to be repaired soon.

The eco-hysterics were initially screaming about the possibility of the ship sinking and leaking fuel. Now the eco-hysteric position it that it will be frozen into the ice this winter.

Here's an eco-hysteric quote from The Australian:

"Environmentalists, who were forced to call off their campaign to scupper the whaling after their ships ran low on fuel, said the Nisshin Maru, which is loaded with 1000 tonnes of fuel oil and other chemicals, was a disaster waiting to happen.

"I don't know how they're going to process all the whale meat if they've had such a big fire, especially with so many chemicals and whale oil about," Sea Shepherd Conservation Society president Paul Watson said. "

Your allegation that the only support for the ship is wrong. "Mr Corbett said the crew of 31 on board sealed the area of the fire yesterday and had managed to pump excess water from the fire fight from the deck.

The remainder of the 161 crew have been taken aboard four other whaling vessels, which came to their aid. The cause of the fire is unknown."

Your allegation that the news has been suppressed by the Japanese government is also wrong. The Asahi Shimbun reported on the 16th Feb that the Nisshin Muru had a fire, a crew member was missing and it had nothing to do with activists.

Oyuki, I am also against whaling. I think that it is barbaric and unnecessary. I am also opposed to bullshit, especially when it it is dressed in green. Bullshit.
Soubriquet,

i never intended to decieve anyone from thw start, and i`m a little hurt that you imply that i am.

I heard from a member of Greenpeace about the government attempting to suppress the story, and when i couldn`t find any sign of it in the morning papers at my school, i jumped to conclusions. My bad.

That is exactly why i asked people to see if they could find the story, i wanted to be proved wrong.

Thank you for proving me wrong. I am very glad to hear that this story is being reported.

I also talked to a co-worker who say the story the previous evening on the late night news, and it sounded like it was a fairly unbiased account, too.

By the way, there are other ways of suppressing news, such as relegating it to the sidelines and back pages. But i am fully ready to admit i was wrong.

"Your allegation that the only support for the ship is wrong. "Mr Corbett said the crew of 31 on board sealed the area of the fire yesterday and had managed to pump excess water from the fire fight from the deck."

where did i make that allegation?
 Quote:
You may see some conservation efforts dressed up with the "kawaii" factor here, but that`s becasue that is what is appealing and effective to some of the public here.
Yours is the voice of reason, Farquah, but here\'s another take on the 'cuteness' factor from the Japan Times.
Here's a clip:
 Quote:
Some critics also doubt cartoon characters will work outside Japanese culture, which exhibits an enduring fascination with childlike innocence -- even in adults.

"This could only happen in a country that is so open to immaturity," said Rika Kayama, a psychiatrist and author. "Authorities here feel it's easier and less threatening to use characters to get the public to accept them, rather than explain the facts."

As we found out, it wasn't a matter of censorship ;\) ...but I don't think censorship is really necessary when there is such little interest in issues a home or abroad anyway. A lot of the stuff on mainstream news just reflects what the public is interested in. You've gotta love the Japan Times though!

Across Sanin and Sanyo areas of Chugoku region they have whale as a part of lunch quite often from what it seems. Who was the forum member in Okayama who mentioned that?? Crazycat or something like that?

you kick up a fuss kuma? Or did you show them how you can eat it with chopsticks? Whoa, you must be Japanese if you can eat whale with chopsticks mr. kumapix :p

it actually tastes good really whale does. It tastes alot like ribs if its cooked in sauce.

Last year I got tricked into eating it. the school just said "whats this"? and I said "it looks like beef". She said "umm sure".

After eating I was told that it was whale. Personally the taste is fine but ill never eat it again.

Fattwins I think most food in Japan that was considered poor people food in the past is actualy very good. Such as Oden, some of the items in Ozetchi are really good, whale was also considered poor food. But to me it is really hearty/soul food and the only filling thing here.

Arr the old should we kill cute/majestic animals debate. This will go on for a while.

My thoughts

A lot of city dweller folks like to feel safe in the knowledge that there is a big old chunk of 'wilderness' out there that we shouldn't touch or interfere with it. And a select group of animals represent this to us with reassuring images on documentaries and such. It gives us a sense of 'all's well with world'

The truth is quite different. We as humans are without doubt at the top of the food chain. Number one. No question. We basically decide which animals live or die. The tiny pockets of 'wilderness' dotted throughout the world exist because we allow them to exist. All the endangered animals in the world exist because we choose for them to exist.

Basically the world is now one big farm.

Do I care which animals we kill or not. No not a jot. What I do care about is how many we kill and whether it is done humanely or not . Someones idea of a cute animal may be different to anothers. Cats for example. People the world over love them. Not me. Feral cats are a major contributer to Australian wildlife's demise. I would gladly blast their heads off with a shot gun if given the chance.

Sorry if anyone finds this post offensive, I'm actually an environmentalist and anti 'Japanese' whaling. I have contributed to several funds, I've also visited game reserves in Africa, India, Nepal and Bolivia. I've also killed many animals for food and sport.

This is just my view from where I stand, hopefully unclouded by sentiment. \:\)