Care over the pennies when shopping?

I'm interested to know if most people here are careful with the pennies when out shopping for food and things. While I don't like to waste money or pay more than I should I pretty much buy what I want without really thinking about money and budgets. (Must point out that I'm not madly rich either ;\) )

I have some friends who seem to plan every last yen.

My badget is not that big, I am still considered a student (PHD). So I cant afford not planing my shopping in advance. I usualy spare 2-3 man for shoping each month and if I cant buy all the things I want in one time, I leave some for next month.

Snowboard money are not included above, but they are equaly well planed.

I think it depends on your salary, and your financial goals (to do with saving I mean). If you're on a teacher's salary here in Japan (which is what? Less than Y300,000 usually) and wanna cruse home with a bank roll after a year you better eat nothing but noodles - watching those pennies is a must. If you have a good job in tech here which is about 600,000 ~ 1,000,000 yen a month average, then it's not so important and the extra 30,000 yen a month you might or might not spend for "the good stuff" seems to have less meaning.

Just a guess though - people are creatures of habit.

I usually wipe my ass with 1man yen bills but....I hate having change in my wallet, it makes my ass sore when I sit on it so I try to use the pennies as often as possible. They're pretty useless both in Japan and in the US - they just just round to the 5 or 10 and be done with them. But then again, I negotiate for ever last baht with poor Thai people so I guess I'm a tight ass afterall...

sexy stuff GG? What might that be?

I allow myself to spend money buying good food..which includes all the fruit I want. If youre not eating healthy then youre gonna be tired, get sick, and not work/not ski. All of which sucks. Also buy good alcohol. Just tend to drink less than my mates ;\)

Quote:
If you have a good job in tech here which is about 600,000 ~ 1,000,000 yen a month
I'd be interested to know what that stat comes from. I'd have thought more like 450,000 - 650,000 unless you have got 5 yrs + experience or are a manager.

I think I need to ask for a raise ;\)

Yeah, well, everyone I know is like 10 to 15 years experience. So that fits. Your top end 600,000 to my top 1,000,000 for the 5 years + spread.

The stat just comes from my friends and etc. you know, like, everyone I know. Also while I was teaching CG at University I medaled in a lot of job placements for exceptional students so I got to know the salary bases from that a little bit. In CG if the guy is pretty good you just don't consider less than about 600,000. If you go your own startup you can be pulling 1,000,000 a month within 6 months time - or there abouts.

Then again if you suck, you're lucky to get 300,000 on salary and there's no customers for you in your own start-up (freelance), so I guess it's relative - shrug.

You work in Tech? What do you do? (if I'm not being too forward.)

I went out and bought one of those coin holders that arranges them in 1,5,10,50,100 & 500 stacks. When they get full I wrap em up and after a while take em to the bank. Can get a few man pretty quickly emptying those coins from ya pockets.

I know pretty much how much I spend in a month on food and keep to it for the most part. I don't keep detailed records though like a friend of mine does - record of absolutely everything she has ever bought... seems a bit over the top to me.

With everyone hating coins so much what's gonna happen to the one dollar piece the US is releasing? I guess yall heard about that. Like the quarters - but with every dead president from the first to the most recently passed - in order. And they're gold colored?

Quote:
Originally posted by bobby12:
But to make up for it, Australias notes are easily the best.
yeah, we know that! lol.gif
I like the green ones!

Oz was making some indonesian money a while back, and I heard they were also going to be printing the new iraqi currency. I don't know if that's fact or fiction though.

1 yen coin needs to go. Serves no purpose any more.

US has resisted with the $1 bill for a really long time, but most (all?) other developed countries are using coins for denominations of that worth (and more, like the $2 coin in canada and the 500 yen coin here). Then again, coins last longer, that's why the government want to move many denominations from bills to coins, thus saving money. And large coins are pain in the arse. I'm not sure which I prefer.

I'm always looking for the bargains when I go to the supermarket. If something is particularly cheap I tend to stock up on it, that is if it can be stocked. I usually buy whatever milk is the cheapest, as long as the dates are OK. I Try to ditch those little coins as soon as I can.

Me too, no point in wasting money. I don't go mad about it though and keep records.

I have a good stock in my kitchen. They usually have special days like Egg Day (though I don't buy the cheap eggs - I pay more and buy "happy bird" eggs).