Theres a decent local brewer down here called 'Akashi' I think. They do about 5 kinds, but no white beer unfortunately.

Anyone know a brewer that does white beer here?

• 2 weeks later...

The few jibiru that I have tried (cant remember names) have tasted very similar to each other and have been pretty poor, with a strong almost chemical-like taste. No thanks! I have not been impressed, though perhaps I need to try this Shiga kogen one or other good one.

I think some jibiiru aren't pasteurized, so maybe the handling and storage might affect the taste... like if it tastes like band-aids (phenolic) then it's probably been compromised.

If non-Japanese microbrews are included, I really like the (Hawaiian) Kona Ales that they serve at Kua Aina Burger - Big Wave Golden Ale is the one I like the best. I think that there are other places that sell them, too.

If you are in Tokyo and like Jibiru, try the brews at T Y Harbor Brewery, Tennoz Isle (nr Shinagawa). It's not the cheapest place to eat and drink, but everything that they serve is good.

I was in Shiga at the weekend and given the relatively poor snow, drinking some of that Shiga Kogen beer was a definite highlight