My Internet Norton security deal is up early next month and so wondering whether to renew that or do something else.

Yesterday in the shops I saw a package for 4000 yen called Source Next Virus Security Zero which claims is 0 yen to renew forever.

Anyone ever tried that one?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh sorry didn't follow this tread closely....

Thanks for the kind words

i used Norton before, but got really tired of my pc working slow + frequent crashes.

I then started to download cracked copies of different security software. basically tried most of them. My favorite old firewall, Tiny personal firewall went out of production and i had to try something new.

i have since then realized that there is so much free software on the market. no need to download funky copies, or pay $$ to Peter Norton.

I tried the free Zone alarm firewall, wasn't impressed with what i could do with it. i was unable to close some of the holes that showed up when i port tested with this excellent website

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

and i was also able to bypass the so called "internet lock" that zone alarm features.

Comodo just worked really well from the start and there is a great forum where i quickly was able to get answers (yes i used the search function:)) to some questions regarding opening ports for emule.

i have also tested avast antivirus

http://www.avast.com/ (also free) nice user interface. frequent updates, but a bit more demanding when it comes to computer power, but most important: i made a silly mistake and downloaded a virus just last month. Avast permitted the execution of the file on my system, and i got infected. continuous scans could detect, but not remove the virus. I decided to nuke my computer, reinstall and go back to AVG, which i have used before and have been very happy with in the past. i DON'T like compromised systems

For those of you who is as paranoid as i am:

rootkits

Rootkits are evil, very evil. it is viruses that is able to hide from even virus scanners in windows systems. Did you know that it is possible to make a change to the registry whitout the registry editor (regedit.exe) can see it? scary stuff!!!!!!!

(if you scan your system. you may run into some hits. don't panic right away. check with sysinternals. some cd-writer software makes strange things happen)

ok.. long story

Igloo the 2 programs perform 2 different tasks.

Comodo is a firewall. a firewall lets you decide what kind of traffic you want on your network. you can close or open different "ports" on your connection. it is a bit technical, and i am sure that you can find much better explanations on the web if you google the term firewall.

The virus scanner (AVG) is a... virus scanner.

i have both of them running, it is not one thing or the other, use both. Windows XP (SP2) have a build in firewall, which is very basic, it only protects incoming traffic, but leaves your system wide open for outgoing traffic.

If you get a virus that sends spam mail from your computer or makes those famous ddos atacks, it is very nice to have a proper firewall that stops outgoing traffic.

Make sure that you disable microsoft firewall after you install another firewall. 0 firewalls are bad. 2 firewalls are almost as bad.

bla bla bla. if you made it this far, congratulations \:\)

Hey Thundy I should have read this thread before renewed my Norton the other day. But no Japanese one available? Now my pc goes slower than before after I renewed my Norton internet security from 2004 to the latest version.

\:\(

Is it slower gamera-San?

Don't worry, soon it will stop completley ;\)

BTW got my comodo update last night. Rush hour is over.

Anyone using ASAHI ADSL here?

i want to change provider really soon, and ASAHI looks like they have a big backbone. any comments?

Thanks Thundy

I am not sure if it's the newest Norton internet security's fault or not, but when I try to have an access to some specific web pages e.g. goo dictionary, my IE always gives a warning which says something like

"Now you are being redirected to the following web pages, continue?"

Damn, it's by my bookmark, not sure why it happens though.

wakaranai.gif

I have a few Japanese friends who use that software you mention igloo and I have seen it in action. Seems to cover what Norton does and it seems to not be heavy either. Not giving up 5000 yen or so a year for updates sounds good as well.

Anyone use Trend Micro Anti Spyware. I'm a few days into the trial version but it seems to be pretty good.