Recently the local liquor shop near where I live has been stocking lots of sparking wines from around the world. I've been trying out different ones and really getting a taste for it. I enjoy it much more than normal flat wine. I like the sweeter ones. The ones in the shops are usually around 1000-1500 yen.

Anyone got any sparking wine recommendations for me to try out?

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
If you like sweet sparkers, then try Asti Spumante. Italian, sweet and only 8% alcohol.

My favorite is NOT sparkling wine but Champagne.
oh you french snob. I'll tell you there are heaps of good "champagnes" out there that don't come from JUST Champagne!

Creek Boy, Canadian Icewine is one of the finest desert wine experiences one can have. the ones I'm thinking of don't come in coloured bottles, nor do they need to be aged to be enjoyed (although they are ageless wines, which become immensly richer with time).

I do appreciate they are not to everyone's taste, though.

I pardon you ;\)

Yeah, Canadian icewine's great. It sounds gimmicky but it's not. It's basically a really late harvest wine (like--when the grapes are frozen) -- which means that the sugars are super concertarated and it's really sweet--but that's not to be confused with cheap sweet wine. I don't like sweet wine but ice wine is very good. A lot of the cheap sweet wine -eg German reislings in coloured bottles that we get here - give dessert wine a bad name but it can be really good.

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
But they're not Dom Perignon
Sounds like a HK banker I know!

Dom is great, I love it!
But there are plenty of others out there for half the price and less that don't have the brand name.
 Quote:
Originally posted by keba:
Creek Boy, Canadian Icewine is one of the finest desert wine experiences one can have. the ones I'm thinking of don't come in coloured bottles, nor do they need to be aged to be enjoyed (although they are ageless wines, which become immensly richer with time).

I do appreciate they are not to everyone's taste, though.

I pardon you ;\)
I love quality wine, but for those of you living here in Japan, maybe you'll agree, about this time every year that nasty cheap (really colorful bottles of) wine comes out and they sell bottles for like 1000 yen(ish). You can see the displays everywhere. That stuff is just nasty.

Gimme a good bottle of red, white, the bubbly stuff, a dark beer, a light, a red, a black&tan - just make it a good bottle or dont bother ;\)

Currently got the smells of making a top mulled wine at the moment, added some Brandy, orange zest, cloves, cinnamon, and a wee bit of honey. Awsome winter tipple. Thats when a cheap bottle of wine comes in great!! Serving tonight at a party with some freshly made mince pies too!! (don`t mean meat mince pies, the crimbo ones!!) Taste sensation!

Quote:
Originally posted by ger:
I can't believe how they hype up beaujoulais noveau this time of year and sell it for over 2000 yen a bottle. No reason to pay more than 500 yen for wine like that.
That is so true. Beaujolais & Chianti, same shockingly overdone reps. They are both very mediocre in the best of years. May not make cooking grade in my book.

To the dispair of my family I much prefer a glass of Asti Spumante over champagne.

If you like sweet wines and have some money to waste, try some sauternes like a Rieussec or ch. d'yquem. No bubbles but nice desert wines.