Proper old-school tatami are 180cm by 90cm, which is 4 shaku by 2 shaku in the traditional measuring system for builders, one shaku being 45cm.

Japanese cities being the crowded places they are, you now get "mansion", i.e., apartment, -size tatami that are maybe 15cm shorter. Most new places have these, not the old full size ones. Kyoto people have their own size too, or so I've been told. It sounds like the type of thing Kyoto people would do.

If you have a fetish night, you'd better keep the stilettos off the tatami. Its a disaster waiting to happen.

Today, most tatami mats are about 95% styrofoam on bottom with a tatami cover (try lifting the mats in your room to see which you have).

They're a lot warmer, quieter, and don't have the bug problems that the 100% tatami tatami mats have. Just don't jump up and down too much on the new ones or you'll end up with Edward James Omlos tatami.

A friend of mine had a tatami mat 'bedroom' and never took his futon up in 3 years. The tatami was black and in a pretty bad state when he eventually moved. He was quite embarrassed.