• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

The roads is clear in both directions.

The road is wide - comfortably 3 cars width.

The road is straight - so you can see about 2km in front of you.

You are going in one direction and in the other direction, coming towards you, there is an ambulance with the sirens and lights going.

What do you do?

I was in a car with a friend today and this situation happened. We saw the ambulance coming from quite a distance. My friend almost immediately slowed down to an almost stop and went right to the left hand side of the road. We were there about 20 seconds before the ambulance came racing towards us and past us.

It seemed extreme considering there was no traffic and the road was wide. But the friend told me that the law says you have to slow down in this situation whatever.

depends on the situation really, if the ambulance is coming towards you with plenty of space then no worries, the only real issue for me is when its coming from behind you and thats a whole different ball game. Your poll has detailed choices but not enough of them!. I guess option one for a ambulance from behind, for an oncoming, check my speed a little perhaps, nothing drastic.

In the scenario you mention above (did you read that SJ??), I'd probably just get to the left a bit until it passed. I didn't know you were supposed to stop whatever.

Quote:
The roads is clear in both directions.

The road is wide - comfortably 3 cars width.

The road is straight - so you can see about 2km in front of you.

You are going in one direction and in the other direction, coming towards you, there is an ambulance with the sirens and lights going.

I think I don't understand the scenario.

If the ambulance is on the other side of the road, then of course you just carry on ahead and ignore it. There is no difference between an ambulance or any of the hundreds of other cars in this scenario.

If it is on *your* side of the road coming into you then obviously you get the hell into the ditch at the side of the road.

then keep on driving... but if the ambulance is on your side of the road and the traffic is heavy, the ideal reaction is to tailgate the ambo and whizz through all the traffic.

although it will appear that all the other law-abiding drivers think you are a crazy hoon, in actual fact they are admiring your bravado and are looking on enviously.

cool.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by spook:
then keep on driving... but if the ambulance is on your side of the road and the traffic is heavy, the ideal reaction is to tailgate the ambo and whizz through all the traffic.

although it will appear that all the other law-abiding drivers think you are a crazy hoon, in actual fact they are admiring your bravado and are looking on enviously.
cool.gif
you can't do that. the ambulance chasers would already be there.

In the scenario you lay out I'd probably move over the left a bit but not much more, there seems no need at all. The ambulance drivers here generally do seem over-cautious in their driving.