The most mind-numbingly boring meeting. Ever.

Can you beat this?

6 hours yesterday. 1 meeting. 20 people. 7 speeches - all basically read from paper (copies of which we had in front of us). No discussion.

I didn't say anything in the meeting. Out of the 13 other people in the meeting I think two of them said something and it was of the "so desu ne" variety.

What a total waste of everyones time.

wakaranai.gif

You could have made yourself the hero of everybody there by making a sweeping efficiency enhancement suggestion, and probably receiving a pay rise and promotion, effective from that very moment.

I think some do actually. They must do, otherwise they would not waste so much of everyones time. Perhaps they think people would not read a report if it was just served up to them on paper. So being forced to listen to it in a meeting is the way to go.

I know in my school, if they did just give out the prints and leave it to everyone to read, then nothing would get read at all. It's a catch 22 really. Too many useless handouts - I'm sure 1 percent of the amazon disappears at every meeting we have here \:\(

I've just been checking an English text for such a meeting. The intro went something like, "I apologose for my poor English pronunciation & have had the text of my speech distributed to aid in your understanding..." Then I had to read the speech into a cassette so the speaker could practice beforehand. No questions or discussion time because speaker had written the original in Japanese and couldn't speak a word of English. I wonder how many of the listeners attending such a meeting would understand the presentation in either it's spoken or written form.

Easy to complain about but actually I guess we are very lucky to be native English speakers. There are a lot of gifted scientists who have such difficulty getting their ideas out because anything of international significance is done in English.