Besides Snow - What do you do to smile?

the sound of an orchestra tuning up before a big performance makes me smile...

windfarms make me smile...

being in stockholm makes me smile...

my friends make me smile...

art galleries in italy and russia make me smile...

the price of coffee in norway makes me smile (and laugh)...

travelling alone on a plane makes me smile...

onsens in japan make me smile...

reading the clever tone of the economist quite often makes me smile...

listening to sigur ros makes me smile...

on a clear day the view from my house in hakuba ALWAYS makes me smile...

bare feet on summer grass makes me smile...

thinking about what to do next makes me smile...

...but most of all snow makes me smile \:\)

Waves, the smell after jumping off the plane in Honolulu (not of myself, the flowers that dominate the environment), harvesting something you've set out to grow. Very short list...most things make me smile. I'm happy go lucky. \:D

I know this sounds silly, but

smoking some good weed in a nice remote area in the mountains make me smile (i still remember what it was like)

Surreal art.

making my wife laugh

learning and understanding (that "Ahh i see" feeling)

Agree with the "travelling alone" thing. love the thrill of being free. i also get that feeling when the car is packed with snow gear, beers and sandwiches. With a full tank of gas and my mapple.

a few man bills in the wallet and my wife parked in front of the tv showing CSI.

Lately i have been smiling after leaving the hospital and the doc tells me not to worry. (don't ask)

Being really physically tired at the end of a great day surfing or snowboarding makes me smile ...

EBC, how much time have you spent in Scandinavia? Stockholm is great isn't it! My parents recently went to Finland too though and said it was amazing.

NPM - i went to Stockholm University for one year - and i really really really want to go back and live there, it's the most stunning European city i've ever visited. The winters are amazing, tons of snow everywhere, half the time it's hovering around -20C and it's so dark, it's hot drink and feather down heaven. I visited all the Scandinavian countries, but i love Sweden and Swedes - it's the best place on earth!

Have a good mate has been living in Stockholm for about 5 years now. I went and stayed with him for about 10 days while I was over that neck of the woods a couple of years ago. Absolutely loved the place! thumbsup.gif I agree EBC, it is a stunning city. I was lucky enough to be there during the 3 weeks of warm "swimmable" weather there and the extended lunch-breaks down on the lakes with my mate and all his colleagues were awesome. Those Swedes sure love to get their gear off at any chance to sunbathe and swim! \:D

yeh they have the kinda summer i can handle... summer in the uk, well it's a non-event really isn't it, summer in japan is a complete nightmare and makes me want to get run over by a shinkansen or eaten by sharks, but summer in stockholm ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh - jatte jatte bra !!! 25C blue skies, no humidity, water and islands everywhere, it's perfect, absolutely perfect.

bushy what does your mate do in sthlm?

Probably my favourite city, I really like Stockholm, and also the few small towns I saw along the coast. Swedes are usually reserved and dignified. I like that.

A bit lacking in Mountains and in summer the northern lakes are mozzie hell.

PHP - judging by the look of that car, you hadn't actually done much helping at the time the picture was taken ;\)

and you forgot one important thing. It lasts 3 weeks. Too damn short and cool for me, but amazing place thumbsup.gif

My mate works at SIPRI and tracks arms sales/movements worldwide. Part of his job is to contact companies and confront them about their "non-military" sales, try to get them to give him an honest account of what percentage of their produce goes to arms manufacture or supply, and then pretty much ignore that and publish his own estimate of a truer percentage. He gets to do some pretty cool research/investigation trips. I think he went to or is going to China recently/pretty soon.

Wow, sounds like an interesting gig your mate has Bushy.

I had 10 days in and around Stockholm in July this year as well. I think I may have visited some of the same islands as you Bushy, Grinda and Finnhamn. We stayed at each place for a few days and just hung out on the rocks, swam and chilled out. The Swedes are such happy, nice people, it was a delight just being there. We happened to get excellent weather the whole time we were there too and even got some "hot" days at about 27 degrees. It would be light until 11pm but I can't imagine the darkness in the winter. Sounds eerie (sp?)!

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
Machines with overhead cams make me happy. I don't mind an Emu Bitter either, but prefer dogbolter.

xs1979dx7.jpg
N-E-R-D-S!!!

ok:

-sunsets
-warm ocean breeze blowing
-4-6 foot glassy sets
-the "natural high" you get after a workout
-going to great concerts
-listening to music at home while reading a book
-a good cup of coffee first thing in the morning on a holiday or the weekend
-gettin a phone call/email from somebody you havent heard from in a long time
-onsens