Well, maybe not. But i was calling around Kyoto yesterday asking about shukubo (temple housing for pilgrims) vacancies for my dad and i, and one of them outright refused me because i was gaijin.

The lady first asked `will you be with a Japanese person?`, and when i said no, she said that i couldn`t make a reservation. When i asked why, she said that they don`t let foriegners stay by themselves. Again, i asked why, and she flatly said that they don`t understand the language or culture. The whole conversation took place in Japanese, and even after i told her that i had been in Japan for 4 years and the cultural differences might not be an issue, she still refused, and i left it at that.

Now, i have had this treatment before at bars in Hokkaido, but i did not expect it from a buddhist temple.

So now i am forced to go the Ryokan route, although they seem very eager to accomedate foriegners, if the amount of english websites for the individual ryokans is any example.

but i`m still pissed...

That must sting getting treated like that. I suppose if they are a non-commercial entity then they have the unique liberty to make their own decisions, rather than having $money make the decisions for them. There is some irony in that (assuming that they are non-commercial)

Don't worry mate, they will all burn in eternal goat-raped agony for not believing in the one true lord and saviour.

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:

come on, be sensitive to their culture. they don't want you so why force them?

Are you joking, Thursday. Is that post sarcasm? He didn't force them at all, he walked away and humbly posted about it with only one pissy word at the very end. Dont be so quick to jump on your wagon.

Yeah that would piss me off. Racist Buddhists... I was in Koya staying at a temple and one of the halls was decked with rising sun flags, pictures of WW2 battle ships and other paraphernalia. I thought "What's with that?!" --I might not have been as surprised had it been a Shinto place. Seems like there's a right wing nationalist faction in Japanese Buddhism.

Quote:
Originally posted by ger:
Yeah that would piss me off. Racist Buddhists... I was in Koya staying at a temple and one of the halls was decked with rising sun flags, pictures of WW2 battle ships and other paraphernalia. I thought "What's with that?!" --I might not have been as surprised had it been a Shinto place. Seems like there's a right wing nationalist faction in Japanese Buddhism.
Bear in mind that for quite a few centuries Shinto has taken a back seat to Buddhism in regards to the influence enjoyed on those in power. The various buddhist sects fought for influence over the rulers of Japan and some were even militaristic, with fighting monks. It really isn't all that much of a surprise if you keep this in mind.

That evokes a strange image. suddenly a huge mass of cloaked monks is coming at you. Chanting in strange tongue... taking casualties but continuing to advance... slowly but steadily.

Could be a good b-rate war flick.

Bushy - thanks for that link. Good stuff.

Instead of thinning the backlog of "duties" today, I've just spent a few hours reading that link, leaving precious time to do things before the family arrive home.

Move quick!

if i had to put a name to what i believe, then yeah, i am buddhist. And no, its not a pilgrimage, but i was really looking forward to experiencing that side of Kyoto. I was hoping to participate in the morning cleaning and meditation.

Ad for sects, i`ll study anything, but i kinda lean towards Soto. But the shukubo was Shingon, i believe.

That warrior-monk link cracked me up. The topic of warrior buddists written about on an website devoted to Oda Nobunaga is like the history of warrior muslims hundreds of years ago being told on a website devoted to George W. Bush.

lol.gif

Loved this quote in particular:

"It might seem severely fantastic to you, stories of monks and killing devices, and monks and concubines and procreating processes, and monks and booze, and monks and barbeque parties -- even more so because Buddhism is sort of too philosophical to get itself mummified into something distinguishably dead system of belief. But it did happen anyhow. Monasteries and temples had already been lairs of lazy bums and village bullies even before they got routine escapists from this dirty but at least not so hypocritical world. Buddhist monasteries in Japan started to get new members from the Imperial House and noblepersons' family trees in the end of the first thousand years after Jesus is said to have been born."

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif