What do/would you do if you are shown to a room in a hotel that is less than clean?

Over summer we booked into a hotel (in the UK) and amongst other things I found a used sock just under/at the side of the bed, a half used soap in the sink and the bathroom and room itself was generally less than fresh and clean.

I walked out of the place (after having a heated discussion and getting my cash bac) but would like to report this place somewhere as it was just awful. Any advice on a good place to do that?

Hotels HAVE TO BE very clean. I cannot put up with any sign of not cleanness. Even with a clean room I always feel that it's not REALLY clean.

Lets capitals to emphasise!

I really like staying at hotels - as long as they are clean, no cheapo places for me. Had a bad experience once staying at this b&b it was awful almost everything about it. The place was a last minute thing and we had very little choice where we were but it really was bad. I reported it to a number of places - hotel association, town council, put a few reviews online