The world - to become a better or worse place?

Do you like this poll?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

I'm generally optimistic about most things, but I can't see things getting better before getting worse in this place. I'm talking from the perspective of the planet and what we are doing to it.

For the vast majority of the worlds population (the poor and hungry), things will remain much the same. Although they may have more buddies to hang out with in the coming years.

In the Middles East things will remain much the same, perhaps get a bit worse. They have lived with death and destruction for centuries and are very good at killing each other with or without Israeli-American involvement.

For people like us, the news on tv will get more depressing as the poor-and-hungry club grows and the Middle East wars continue.

Terrorism will get worse, no doubt. If it were not for lucky and unexpected info from Pakistani authorities in one case and two counts of unlucky bomb design in another then we would right now be reading about a couple of 747's that exploded mid air and two trains in Germany the were blown to bits. Both were about to happen and just because they didn't happen doesn't make them any less a terrorist attack. The German train bombs, largely ignored by the international news, were 25kg bags of petrol and gas placed on the trains and had the detonators remotely triggered. By pure luck the bomb makers made a mistake and the small detonator cap failed to propagate the huge explosion that the bombs were designed to deliver. These huge bombs were found at the end of the days train service and sat in a lost and found office for a week. Now there's a nice everyday part of life.

Environment? Not a hope of improvement with the current status quo. If you think there is a hope then get out of your sheltered isolated small town and have a look at the roads and towns of the world. Man, they are clogged with people who couldn't care less. Billions of them. I'm not saying it is right, just saying what I see out there. I don't think they will be easily converted. That one is a lost cause and will never voluntarily change. Anyway, global climate change is ok with me. So what if it changes? It would change slowly or dramatically at some stage whether we were here or not. Oceans rise and fall, land masses are made and destroyed... that we are contributing to this process and, boo hoo, getting caught up in the middle is a fact of our natural life. So what if 20% of England is underwater in 100 years? Nature has spoken and nature will respond. Dinosaurs don't exist anymore either. To think man can alter our course is deluding ourselves into believing that man is autonomous of nature: we are not, in fact, we are what we are and can't change that. Everything is cause and effect. At the moment we are part of the cause, a natural by product of our mere existence and sooner or later we will be caught up in the effect. To me it all seems like a very natural and immeasurably small paragraph in the mighty existence of all matter. Nature enabled humans to think and make factories and in a perverse way, factories are a by product of nature. The global climate and mother nature in the broadest sense will respond as it sees fit. There may well eventuate a reality where we are forced to behave in a way that preserves the environment to our future benefit, but 'believing that we can all make a difference' wont be part of it as that belief will never gain critical mass until forced (by, not unsurprisingly, nature) to do so. However, trying to make a difference should still be seen as a good thing to do for the individual and his immediate concern (family). In the complete absence of mankind, Earth and the Universe is capable of producing far more hostile environmental conditions than man could ever create. It is strangely arrogant for man to think that we are primarily responsible for killing Earth or alternatively ensuring its ultimate preservation. That we are here at all is utterly incidental. You may note that my home made philosophy in this field is still under construction and I am yet to convince myself of large parts of it.

Thanks TJ, but be warned, I often question my philosophy from the critical perspective that is based on the unthinking premise of "ahh fack it, its all too hard, cant beat em, just join em".

Its not all doom & gloom - on the personal rather than global scale and in the developed world at least we have more advanced medicine & medical techniques, a longer life expectancy, more opportunities for education, better technology & communication, better transport and more opportunities to travel to name a few.

\:\) We also have more advanced outdoor equipment, faster ski lifts...

There is way too much hatred in the world for my taste. Humans are arguably the smartest or stupidest creatures roaming the Earth. But hey, my attitude is make the most of your little corner and live life with a positive attitude.

I think the world forgot about the future generations and the consequences of environmental destruction a long time ago. We, as a species are consumptionaholics. But i still think the smart side of us will eventually make the world a better place.