Things you shouldn't buy new

New cars. The dumbest purchase of all time. Besides children, there is one sure way to sentence ones self to a lifetime of mostly pointless toil, 9 to 5, 5 days a week: our addiction to paying interest on a depreciating asset that requires constant monetary input to keep on the road. The true cost of these things is not money, it is the time required to earn the money. How many years of your life is wasted earning money for junk like new cars?

People are addicted to these things as it 'beyond their control' removes any choice from their life. People get what they want; and most people want to be relieved of the torment of choice. One such vexing choice is: should I work my life away or live every day in the way that I want? Buying new cars (and wide screen tv's) helps give us no choice.

Oops, sorry, poor wording on my part. Kids aren't bad like tvs and cars, I certainly never meant that. But they do require an 18 year flow of cash and most people derive that cash by giving up their free-living time in an office of pointless toil (which is only given 'a point' by virtue of the money being required for their kids).

I want a wide screen tv... as much as I dislike tv, there are times when there is a great sporting event, movie or snow/surf film that has to be seen! When this occasion comes along, I want a quality, big plasma screen to maximise the experience.

But I do tend to agree with you le spud. Brand new cars and tv's are a waste of money. But remember, some people love cars as much as you and I love skiing/boarding. It dominates their life, it is their passion. To them, they are happy to work 9-5 to pay for their car oriented lifestyle... sad but true.

Cars! you've got to be a moron or a car dealer to buy a new car. 30 seconds after you purchase it you've lost most of it's value and like spud says you only keep paying for it. I've vowed to never buy a new car. Rather I want to invent and patent a new car scent for those of us that feel the same. There is something special about the smell of a new car. But that's it.

unless you're a collector, never buy used jewllery. If she found out, she'd hate you forever.

And never buy used books. Really hate the pages being touched by other people. You lose that all clean smell from turning over the page.

Just come back from the UK. And very tired.

But on the subject of CDs and DVDs - there's so many cheap deals on now for new ones. I bought quite a lot for 5 pounds. And quite a few 3 for 20 pound DVD offers as well. Trying to compete with Amazon and the like I suppose.

thursday, I bought a used book on Amazon for the simple reason that there were no new one's in publication and as it turned out it was full of fingernails and other dirt. The book was very interesting but it was quite a process going through it and trying to clean it.

Quote:
Originally posted by snosurf:
I want a wide screen tv... as much as I dislike tv, there are times when there is a great sporting event, movie or snow/surf film that has to be seen! When this occasion comes along, I want a quality, big plasma screen to maximise the experience.

But I do tend to agree with you le spud. Brand new cars and tv's are a waste of money. But remember, some people love cars as much as you and I love skiing/boarding. It dominates their life, it is their passion. To them, they are happy to work 9-5 to pay for their car oriented lifestyle... sad but true.
tv, especially watching sport and movies are things I just don't understand. I'm the odd one out in that regard so I won't comment.

As for cars being a passion/hobby. Good point, it is just as valid and more rational than hurling ourselves off dangerous lines on a snowboard. But damn, it is an expensive hobby financially (mind you, most dudes obsessed with cars don't buy new cars, they buy oldies and restore or second handers and rev them up).

Probably seem like a prat here, but since I've been in Japan, we have only bought new cars.

Reasons why:

1. I know nothing about cars and wouldn't know a good deal from a bad one

2. Generally about 2% financing.

3. After service. We would get a call from the salesman about once a month asking how the car was doing. If we had a problem, he'd be right around to pick it up and fix it. We never paid for anything (apart from oil changes) even if the car was 5-6 years old. Since moving to Hakuba he has still been in constant touch and has the closest Nissan dealer make sure everything is taken care of.

4. You get exactly the extras you want

Value is not just what it's worth on the market, but also what it's worth to you.

Quote:
Originally posted by le spud:
(mind you, most dudes obsessed with cars don't buy new cars, they buy oldies and restore or second handers and rev them up).
take Japan out of that equation and you're right!
Cars are so damn cheap here that the car otaku's can afford to buy new ones, but they lose big on re sale.
I love fast cars and invest quiet alot into my cars but the difference is that at the end of the year I make a substancial profit after selling them.
I'll one day get that new Porsche that I am after but only when it's my passive income paying for it.

Kintaro, that's what I really hate about buying used. You never know what it's been through.

Have to own up, I bought a new car last year, and a 42" Plasma 2 years ago. And a set of Mizunos 6 month's ago. What I really really hate is the time share scam. Don't even buy these secondhand.

Kintaro; I wouldn't worry about the moron comment as it probably applies to me anyway. I know a little about a few things but f_all about most.

First car we bought was a SUV. Bought it for 2.5mill (wife got him down from 3.2mill).

Drove it for 5 years. Shipped it back to NZ and got about 1.5mill for it (as opposed to 600,000yen offered in Japan).

Back to the list though:

Books--> 2nd hand bokos are great

DVDs CDs --> Download off the internet

Toys --> 50/50

Jewellry --> Don't own any, wife does what she wants

Sports equipment --> Only buy new

Timeshares --> New or old Never in a million years

Cars --> nuff said

Software/console games --> 50/50

Office furniture -->50/50

Hand tools --> Don't know how to use them in most cases.

Quote:
Originally posted by thursday:
unless you're a collector, never buy used jewllery. If she found out, she'd hate you forever.

And never buy used books. Really hate the pages being touched by other people. You lose that all clean smell from turning over the page.
How about an heirloom piece of jewellery? Funny how attitudes change when the object is given an extravagant title, eh? :rolleyes:

Women are like books: don't want one that's been ruffled by any old Dick. eek.gif ;\)
 Quote:
Originally posted by big-will:
According to a mag report

Books
DVDs CDs
Toys
Jewellry
Sports equipment
Timeshares
Cars
Software/console games
Office furniture
Hand tools
Books, Cds, Software/console games, Office furniture. Either, no problem.

Toys. Hard to find a good range, and they are presents.

Jewellery, timeshares. Never bought any.

Cars. Always secondhand

Hand tools. Nearly always new. Buying a tool to do the job mostly pays for itself the first time. Most of my car tools are 35 years old and have paid for themselves many times. My carpentry tools are nearly as old; my chisels are getting short and saws have been replaced once. I've worn out 9 electric drills, 3 saws, 2 planers and routers. No point buying second hand.
 Quote:
Originally posted by Indo:
I love fast cars and invest quiet alot into my cars but the difference is that at the end of the year I make a substancial profit after selling them.
I'll one day get that new Porsche that I am after but only when it's my passive income paying for it.
Jesus! Look what happens to a good honest surfer from south Oz after he ups and leaves his mates for Japan. ;\)

Quote:
Originally posted by soub:
Hand tools.....No point buying second hand.
It would seem that if I bought your car tools from you second hand after you owned them for 15 years then I would have got 20 good years out of them ;\)

Quote:
Most of my car tools are 35 years old and have paid for themselves many times

I bought a 42 inch plasma a few years ago. It was pretty cheap as I had a friend. I am not glued to it all the time, but when I do watch something - usually sports, movies, DVDs - it is one fantastic experience.

\:\)

Yes, but they're not for sale. I shrank the contents of a 5 bedroom Nedlands home to a wall of books and a shed full of tools. It's quite an instructive experience to work out what material things are truly important.

Indosnm is right. There's nothing wrong with this car that another 150 bhp won't cure thumbsup.gif driving.gif

Seeing as wide screen tv's keep coming up here is a timely quote from one of my self indulgent and congratulatory ramblings

Quote:
Easily the best wide screen tv I have ever seen...
However a somewhat different meaning. In the last paragraph on this page http://www.accumulationzone.com/miage.html

Soub - having such a spare room must be great. My GF pretty much just sealed the deal recently with the following exclamation: "I want a house with a garage that we can store all our tools and mountain stuff. We can build shelves and racks and keep it all easily accessible and even do the waxing and edges in there". After a stunned silence from me, I totally agreed with her. What manner of woman speaks in such male ways??

"What manner of woman speaks in such male ways??"

One with a sharp eye and a keen appreciation of what she wants. She accomodates you and sounds like the real deal. Assuming everthing's OK, it's commitment time.

Question 1. What more do you want?

Question 2. What more could you get?