Things you can't help laughing at

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People on ads here - usually local ones - that have about as much personality and acting skills as someone with absolutely none. some of them look like they're shitting themselves. Funny.

Not sure whether to put this on the trivial irritations thread or on here. But I did have a laugh at it so here it is.

I just had a message on my answer machine from my internet provider. They want to confirm something to do with my account. Anyway, the lady left a message explaining that they need to confirm something and could I please call back during office hours. All this was done in quite fast Japanese using keigo ( lol.gif ), BUT then she proceeded to leave the number to call in really bad English, followed up by (again in fast polite Japanese) the fact that they can handle English at the call center! lol.gif lol.gif

>I know this is Japan, but comoooooooon...

Some people say they speak Japanese but when I talk with them in Japanese I find the same :p It's hard to speak not in your mother tongue, so take it easy \:\)

No Gam, I have no complaints about that. I just find it ridiculous that the assumption is that I can understand what she said enough to know to call her back and understand what she explained, BUT then she thinks that maybe I can't understand the simplest thing like numbers. It made me laugh that's all. If I really couldn't understand a number in Japanese, then I sure as hell wouldn't have understood her fast, keigo-full message for me (which, however, I did). My point has nothing to do with people finding it difficult to not speak in their mother tongue. Do you follow? Gam I have no problem with her using Japanese, this is Japan after all. And no problem with her trying to use English. But assuming that I can't understand simple numbers but can understand the rest of her Japanese is just illogical. Anyway, I'm not trying to criticize so much as just having a laugh at it. \:\)

klingon - see my comment in the thread below, i put a link there.

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/8/5828.html

I don't check the SJ forum often now, so maybe you can ask me anything through my business web.

Bushpig - I know what you mean but still there's sometimes something hard to understand, hard to translate. Especially when a sentence is very long, it's hard.

Rach - I agree. Nowadays a lot of them call me to tell there's some cheap plans/prgrams for telephone fee, so they just call them to inform. But I always ask them nice and polite not to switch my plan without my permission on paper. Very annoying sometimes. Not a big difference, just some tiny bit of money even if I follow them. If it's like 10,000 yen a month difference, maybe I might follow though.

People falling over gets me, obviously not if they're old and frail or get hurt. I remember looking out the window one rainy day when I was supposed to be studying at the uni library. This girl was crossing a hilly lawn and went for the funniest skate. Another time I was swimming with my girlfriend in Yoshino river and we saw a fisherman do a big crash into the water-just couldn't stop laughing. Funny stuff if no one gets hurt.

lol.gif Yeah, I agree Davo. Last year one of the little old teachers at our school fell off his chair after dozing off to sleep in the staff room! He got up looked around and sat back up as if nothing had happened! He refused to even acknowledge it! lol.gif Me and the other three or four who saw it were trying so hard not to piss ourselves laughing.

Just to follow up on the phone message thing from above. I called the number back (after being assured in her politest Japanese that they could handle my call in English) only to get a completely Japanese automated redirection (ie choose the number for the service), and when I chose what I needed to choose, I got a Japanese speaker who told me there were no English speakers there! lol.gif

Gam, my laugh at her choice of putting ONLY the phone number into English had nothing to do with her finding it hard because the sentence was too long or there was something she couldn't translate into English. If that were the case then she should have said the number in Japanese.It was simply her expectation/assumption that I couldn't understand simple numbers in Japanese, but somehow would be able to understand the rest of her message in Japanese.

BP:

Similar thing the other day when I called a hotel to check on a reservation for a Mr Kim. We were jabebring away in Japanese and all of a sudden she put Kim and Korea together and started spluttering on in Korean. I'm trying to explain to her in Japanese that I can't speak Korean, but she just keeps on going and going on.

wakaranai.gif

In the end I had to give her and arigato gozaimasu and hang up.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my German texts makes me laugh. I have a few texts and one was published in 1962, making it in fact quite engaging because of its 1962 style and content. I proposed to my teacher that we use it for some lessons as a diversion from her book (which is crap). Call me a puerile child, but it backfired on me day one. In the first lesson there is some translation and reading text regarding Mr and Mrs Schulz.

Herr Schulz is dick. Frau Schulz ist auch dick, aber nicht so dick wie Herr Schulz.

"Mr Shulz is stout. Mrs Shulz is also stout, but not as stout as Mr Shulz"

I simply couldn't read it without giggling like a ten year old boy. And who the hell describes a person as stout? Damn 1962 Germany.

The NHK guy just came and the conversation we had was the following:

NHK - doorbell rings

Me - yes (and open the door)

NHK – Good morning I am from the NHK corporation.

Me – Hallo

NHK – Is your room a TV set? lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

O11:

Don't you know anything about German (This is an East German Passage from the early 80s). The correct translation is:

Mr Schulz has a dick, Mrs Schulz also has a dick, but it is not as big as Mr Schulz's