Do gaijin smell? (as an ex-Japan player suggested)

Do you like this poll?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this poll?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure
    • Can you do another poll please?
  2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

Everybody has a smell... I don't think there is any ethnic distinction for this. I've encountered stinky ethnically Japanese people in Japan as well as stinky Westerners. Same goes for back in the USA where the ability to smell bad trancends all racial or ethnic bounds.

A hot, crowded gondola in spring stinks as much in Japan as it does back in the 'States, regardless of the filling.

\:\)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite seriously, I have never smelt anything worse than the armpits on the London subway carriages, and I caught a very crowded Tokyo subway twice a day, which in comparison smelt quite nice. The London Underground company puts up posters in the train stations each summer asking customers to take regular showers as they smell. And to be really nasty... London is a very multicultural city and there were clearly some races that smelt stronger (to my Anglo nose) than others. 'White people' were very smelly, but not the worst offenders. Don't shoot me, I am only saying it the way I smelt it.

I think the average European smells worse than the average Japanese.

Having spent years here and with lots of nose experience, I do agree with you le spud.

Some of the smells on that train are just foul. It's hard to believe people go out of their house smelling so bad - and even harder to think that they don't realise it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for letting us know thursday.

My Japanese colleagues amaze me in summer though - lack of apparent sweating and smelling. Not that I smell of course.

I was reminded of this thread this week when a colleague asked me "why do gaijin smell more than nihonjin". I don't quite know how he expected me to answer that.....

This is a great topic. According to my Chinese ex-wife, westerners stink like shit. Except for the Dutch boyfriend she was shagging behind my back.

He's a great guy. Non-smelly person dressed in lycra and abandoned his daughters age 3 and 1.

It doesn't matter how much I shower, I smell bad. She's a single mother with the money to send my boys to private school. He has bought the house and pays the bills. I'm confident he does not smell when the bills have to be paid, but he is pushing shit uphill elsewhere.

funny, i always felt like stinky nihon-jin smelled awful; at work, in the gym, on the train. i've run across lots of stinky japanese people with very poor personal hygiene.

IMO people with poor hygiene regardless of their cultural background (or blood type which prevents them from contracting HIV) stink. people who wash regularly don't. pure and simple. can we move on.

The deodorant here sucks.

Charlotte, I always get asked why I have blue eyes!! Mostly from the kids at work, but some of the teachers have said that as well. I said to them, why do you have brown eyes and that really stumped them!! lol.gif

A friend of mines who used to work as an ALT got asked by a teacher how she is able to wash her face as her nose must get in the way!!!!

lol.gif

Originally Posted By: kokodoko
blue or brown eyes is determined by genetics..

fyi

cheers koko, I'm quite aware of how our eyes are determined, but explaining the details of genetics to elementary school kids is waaaay too complicated!! ;\)

Smells...yeah, what you eat and drink plays a part in how you smell...and some races smell worse than others...but I wouldn't say that the cuacasian westerner is the worst out there (in general that is - there is always exceptions for the unclean!!) Nothing beats a shower, deodorant and drinking water!

As for the eyes...well I am blonde with blue eyes - and I gotta tell ya - I felt like a freakin' FREMEN (see: Frank Herberts DUNE)when we were in China a few weeks back. Mothers were getting thier children to look at the freaky lady - felt like I was at the Zoo on the wrong side of the cage!! Never felt that discrimination in Japan - maybe coz I was mainly in Niseko and that is half Aussie anyway! LOL ... but China! Cor Blimey!!