Is this big news in Japan?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4874594.stm

Environmentalists in Japan are claiming a rare victory after five key private companies quit the whaling business following a pressure campaign.

The firms said they will transfer their shares in the country's largest whaling fleet to public interest corporations.

Greenpeace claims it is global pressure from consumers that has forced the financial backers to pull out.

Whale meat simply doesn't taste good when compared to other options like beef. And Japanese consumers have already proven that with decreasing sales and consumption.

I have a feeling that Japanese whaling industry would naturally die off, or become miniscule (it's already pretty small, no?) and negligible if Westerners weren't so pushy and preachy about whaling (among other issues). It seems like the Japanese government is keeping the whaling industry alive to spite the West. Japan pretty much follows Western (especially American) direction on many issues, so much so that many people accuse Japan of being the US's bitch.

I also agree with Number9. The whaling industry in Japan will die a natural death. Any claims by any environmentalist group, within or outside of Japan, that this decrease in whale consumption is their work is complete balderdash. It is simple economics. This year's whale meat glut reflects the fact that there are fewer people in Japan purchasing whale meat at the retail level. I am confident that this has nothing to do with the average Japanese consumer's concern over the "plight of the whales" as it does the decrease in demand because of a shrinking demographic of whale meat buyers (read: persons >60-years old). Also, any divestiture by any company holding stock in a whaling-related industry is similarly attributable to simple economics - they don't want to be involved in a losing proposition.

It's not a question of consumption. It's a question of political lobbying by the whaling industry that has a lot of money invested in whaling equipment. Governments just hate to see any industry die off, however inefficient and destructive its practices may be.

> Also, any divestiture by any company holding stock in a whaling-related industry is similarly attributable to simple economics - they don't want to be involved in a losing proposition.

And it's a total coincidence that they decided to divest now? I doubt it. I think it's far more likely that divesting companies saw that their public image in countries outside Japan that consume their products was taking a bigger hit than was merited by their investments in Japan. These companies are fully integrated global entities now and are subject to consumer pressure from all quarters. For Japanese presentation they may pretend they aren't, but their capitulation proves it. Score a big one to Greenpeace. Yay!

But of course it has nothing to do with Japanese consumers' concern for the plight of whales. Japanese people have demonstrated that they would flock to eat a whaleburger just to assert 'their culture' about which they know only a quarter of the story.

• 4 years later...

Japanese Whaling Operations Suspended

17 Feb 2011: "Japanese Fisheries Agency official Tatsuya Nakaoku said the Japanese factory ship, the Nisshin Maru, had suspended operations since February 10 "to ensure the safety (of the crew)" following numerous skirmishes with Sea Shepherd activists in icy Antarctic waters."

http://www.news.com.au/national/japanese-whaling-hunt-may-end-early/story-e6frfkvr-1226007184366

This is good news to wake up to this morning - The more whales saved from this disgraceful practice the better. Let's hope reports of "a changing tide of domestic opinion" in Japan are true..

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Bollocks, there goes my breakfast for today. Was looking forward to some 鯨ベーコン and eggs. Now I will just have to eat pork instead.

Don't worry Rob,,,They still round up "Flipper" down around these parts and it's "the other whale meat". We're only a couple hours down the coast,...breakfast is on me.. wink

Way bloodier mate!

Remember that scene in The Empire Strikes Back when Hans Solo climbed inside his Tauntaun for warmth? They do the same thing down in Izu with dolphins. That way, on a cold night they can have a little nibble off their dolphin-sleeping-bag when they get hungry in the night. But don't worry, dolphins have a purpose in summer too. On sunny days people from Ito smear dolphin blood all over themselves to protect against sunburn. What's more is they've discovered the younger and cuter the dolphin the higher the UV protection their blood offers.

Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Bollocks, there goes my breakfast for today. Was looking forward to some 鯨ベーコン and eggs. Now I will just have to eat pork instead.

Don't worry Rob,,,They still round up "Flipper" down around these parts and it's "the other whale meat". We're only a couple hours down the coast,...breakfast is on me.. wink

Awesome, next time I am down that way, dolphin is on you. biggrin

I like me some heavy metal party .... but dolphin meat is pretty much "death metal"... naughty

I like me some heavy metal party .... but dolphin meat is pretty much "death metal"... naughty