Recently I have been making some jams and having fun messing around with that goes in them.

My favourite is strawberry with a bit of banana and lemon. Yummy it is.

Does anyone else here make jams and any good lineups?

London is a great city in some respects, rich in natural assets. Last year I roamed my extensive local heath (which is only 7km from the west end) picking buckets of blackberries with my GF and dog. We then went home, via a pint of ale at the pub, and made blackberry jam.

One of the jars was left out of the fridge and fermented. For fun I left in on the window sill over a few months and it bubbled away in the jar amazingly well.

Mrs11 has made a couple of jars of marmalade with the very tart iyokan that my trees produce. She uses a fraction of the sugar suggested by most recipes, resulting in a rather bracing breakfast condiment. I'm tempted to add a shot of brandy for extra body, not that it needs it. Her mother makes a wicked strawberry jam in season, so good that I wouldn't even think of eating commercial strawberry jam anymore.

I've recently found some good local honeys. The 'mountain honey' I got recently from bees kept on the hills advertises itself as being 'yaseiteki'. Yaseitekiness of honey is perhaps a rather difficult concept, but I can see what they mean. Very good it is. It could probably be used as a sweetener in a lemon marmalade instead of sugar.

I tried to extend my fig consumption season by buying locally made fig jam at great expense. But figs just don't have the acidity required to make decent jam, so unless you used nearly half a jar on one piece of toast, you couldn't taste the figs at all.

A noble exercise in futility...

Fig and Ginger jam - mmmmmm. Home made grape jam - mmmmmm

Rach, believe it or not, tomatoes make REALLY good jam e.g. tomato & passionfruit, tomato & pineapple, etc. The acid in the tomatoes cuts the sweetness of the other ingredients, making a well balanced product. It may sound weird but it does taste great - give it a go when tomatoes are cheap or home-grown. thumbsup.gif

My dear old granny's Fig Jam & Fig & Ginger.

Truly memorable.

But for Jam Supreme imho there is only

"APRICOT JAM."

And the oz stuff is the best I've ever tasted.

最高 - PSYCHO! \:D

Apricots are special, love them. I'd love to try out lots of different jams, can't say I've had much experience unfortunately.

How do you make them is it just a case of boiling and cooling? ;\)