Pig manure swamps German village

A village in the German state of Bavaria is recovering after being flooded with liquid pig manure.

A tank containing the fetid fertiliser burst, sending a deluge of porcine waste into the courtyards and streets of Elsa, police said.

The sewage was half a metre (1.6ft) deep in places.

"The village was swamped with green-brown liquid - the mother of all muck," police spokesman Rainer Prediger, from nearby Coburg, said.

The tank held about 52,800 gallons (240,000 litres) of fertiliser, Reuters news agency reported.

"It was not very pleasant for the villagers," Volker Munk of Coburg police told the BBC News website.

Officer Munk said the slurry ran down the main street, flooding the ground floors of several homes.

Police estimated the accident caused damage that will cost about 100,000 euros (£68,000) to repair, Reuters said.

Perhaps they'll learn not to keep it all in one big filthy place in future. There are things that farmers and their customers everywhere are learning the hard way about, where if they would only apply a little common sense...

On the biodiesel forum I also frequent, there is an earnest discussion among farmers about whether it's good to feed cattle the by-products of biodiesel manufacture; glycerin and traces of sodium methoxide. Um, I thought cows were ungulates that ate grass...

Cows are milk and meat factories that eat whatever they are given, including scrapie-infected sheep meat.

A farm I used to work on had an ex-WWII airfield on it. The farmer used to rent out some of the runway for a local contractor to store mountains of chicken shit. When the farmer found the chicken shit was going into cattle food, he chucked the contractor off. Said farmer was a man of integrity who felt it wrong to feed shit to animals, and he wouldn't be a part of it.