i think if you spent a bit more on your printer in the first place you will probably find that printer ink is reasonably priced. (this isnt a jab btw, just a blanketing statement \:\) ) its the cheapo printers that really bite you in the ass when it comes to replacing ink. my housemate has a lexmark [total wank] printer that she bought for 70 dollars or so and she spends close to that everytime she goes to fill it up.

i spent about 130 or so on my canon and the black ink goes for about 13 dollars (canadian that is) a pop. you can buy generic brands for a bit cheaper (i think around 10).

you really dont need to buy the branded ink (in my opinion). the only problems i hear of people replacing ink is when they get their existing catridges filled up by someone or with those take home kits.

I buy 160ml refill bottles from Askul. They are 3000yen per colour, then you just have to squirt it into the old cartridge with a syringe. Loads cheaper but you have to be patient - squirt too fast and you will end up with a face covered in yellow spots (happened to me recently).

• 3 months later...

These days you can get a pretty cheap laser printer for a couple of hundred $Aus. The toners last for about a thousand papers and are pretty good for home use.

I had a really cheap Canon printer (something like 7000 yen it was) and it really did get through ink really fast, way too fast actually.

Recently got a newer, much better Epson and I'm much happier with it and the ink situation seems to be better.