At the moment I'm taking a whole bunch of different painkillers for various injuries (tibial and metatarsal stress fractures, shin splints, bad knee, hamstring that keeps playing up - some are a result of running, some from skiing).

Anyway, I'm only 25 but I've got a sneaking suspicion that my insides are being eroded by codeine, ibuprofen and a whole bunch of other chemicals I'm ingesting.

Has anyone had any positive experiences with natural remedies? I spoke to a naturopath today and she recommended a couple of homeopathic products, but I've always thought the theory of homeopathy sounds a bit dodgy. confused.gif

I'd be interested in any suggestions/comments/similar experiences you might have...

>Anyway, I'm only 25 but I've got a sneaking suspicion that my insides are being eroded by codeine, ibuprofen and a whole bunch of other chemicals I'm ingesting.

Nicole, been there done that. I was running close to 100 miles/week in Uni (T&F/Xcountry) and had never had so many injuries in my life. My body really couldnt handle the high-mileage nor the extremely intense workouts at the same time.

During that time, I was in the training room before 5am/2:30pm getting treated with everythang they had but it still didnt help the pain. So, my sports trainer had me on huge horse size ibuprofen at 800mg/dose. I was dosing them everyday for years and decided to quit taking them/quit running at the same time. Was feeling so nauseous all the time and knew it was from the meds/other pain killers but didnt wanna lose my scholarship - but in the end, my health/mental health was more important.

What are you doing to make you have that much pain? high-intensity training?old injuries? If you have that much pain, stop whatever youre doing and give your body time to reocover. If you have an injury, have it looked at by a doctor... It took me forever to figure out that there shouldnt be any reason whatsoever to be taking painkillers daily. None.

Yoga is the bomb cool.gif

Wow, 800mg is a lot to be taking in one dose! You must've felt like crap! \:\(

My injuries go way back - I did competitive gymnastics for years and that's where the stress fractures began. I quit that when I was 15 to concentrate on school.

I took up long distance running when I was in uni and got pretty addicted to it. I was running 6km every morning and another 4km at the gym in the afternoon, plus weights after that. It was way too much but I couldn't see that at the time. After three years of it my knee was killing me and the stress fractures were flaring up again. So, on the advice of my doctor, I decided to take a couple of years off.

That's when I rediscovered skiing. Obviously it's not easy on my legs either but at least my body gets downtime between seasons. ;\)

Things were great the first couple of years, but after a season in Japan I was wrecked - my knee was worse than ever and I also tore my hamstring.

I have given up running completely, apart from the occasional 10km fun run type thing. But I still have a lot of pain day-to-day, mostly in my shins and knee. I'm most likely having surgery done on the knee early next year and then heading off to wreck it again in Canada \:\)

The bottom line is, I'm not a super amazing skiier or anything but I get an indescribable amount of pleasure out of it, so I'm not really willing to give it up.

But... it would be awesome not to have to take medication every single day. That sucks!

>The bottom line is, I'm not a super amazing skiier or anything but I get an indescribable amount of pleasure out of it, so I'm not really willing to give it up.

I hear ya on that. Even after all that down time you still have stressfractures/shinsplints?

>I have given up running completely, apart from the occasional 10km fun run type thing. But I still have a lot of pain day-to-day, mostly in my shins and knee. I'm most likely having surgery done on the knee early next year...

Even after all that down time you still have stressfractures/shinsplints? wow, thats a bummer. Maybe a better way for you to get exercise is swimming? Thats what ive switched to and love it.

Have you tried giving up the meds and just delt with the pain? Do you think youre addicted to the pills?

O11, Ive never had any fruit crammed up my rectum but am thinkin about giving it a try. Which would you recommend? Have any great advice?

eyeeyeeyeeyeeye, I note with approval how well you understand Natural Hygiene.

nicole, you sound like a wreck. I suggest that you scrap your body and just keep your brain and eyes in a jar of saline fluid. People from the forum can volunteer to take you skiing whenever they go. Get one of those SJ stickers to slap on your jar and everybody will be fighting over who gets to hold you for the next run.

The shin splints, I believe, are from overworking my calf muscles - the problem is probably a direct result of the stress fractures. My doctor says it's unlikely my stress fractures will heal any time soon, purely because I've had them for so long.

Swimming would be good, especially as it's summer where I am.

I'm pretty sure I'm not addicted to the pills - there are days when I don't take them. I'm a pretty strong person, overall. Night time is probably the worst for me. I get a lot of leg pain after walking around all day at work and it stresses me out when I can't get to sleep because my legs are aching.

Jeez Nicole - sounds pretty heavy for a young'un.

Long term dosing of NSAID's will play havoc on stomach, intestines, liver, kidneys meaning future skiing may have to be done on a drip. Drugs, natural or otherwise, rarely can solve such a problem, at the best a mask for some pain break.

Sounds all too obvious but have you been to a really top sports medicine centre and discussed rehab programmes with docs, physios, chiros, podiatrists, masseuses, acupuncturists etc?

Only a carefully crafted individual exercise programme focussing on muscle, tendon stretching & strengthening, core muscle development for stability and corrective alignment, gait & posture can offer any long term non-invasive help.

Bowen Therapy should not be overlooked. Developed in Australia it is fast becoming one of the most reputed treatments for a variety of ailments including yours. There will be many therapists not far from you.

Good Luck.

Snobee, I go to a physio once a month for a consult and then a deep tissue rub (hurts like a bitch but I feel great for days after). Have tried acupuncture and found it to be a waste of time and money.

In all honesty, I feel that my current condition is a result of being jerked around by physios, chiros and doctors. They all dispute eachother's diagnosis which makes it practically impossible for a person with an injury to get the right treatment.

For years (when I was doing gymnastics as a kid) my stress fractures went untreated because my doctor chalked them up to 'growing pains' - whatever that is!

I have no idea what Bowen Therapy is - will google it now.

Thanks \:\)