I have a Japanese acquaintance and I find it really really difficult to end a conversation with them. It's like there's these silences and they keep on just looking as if something has been unsaid and however many phrases I say it seems to continue. Gets quite awkward actually. I think I might be missing some good "this is the end of the coversation" phrases - you know, polite ones but ones that are quite to the point.

Any good ones then?

If you need to be in a hurry, you can say " Chotto yakusoku ga arimasunode, shitsurei shimasu (I have an appointment, have to go)".

If you don't need to be in a hurry but want to end the conversation not in a bad timing, judge the timing when - usually the timing the conversation stops for a while and say " Sah, soreja konohende shitsurei shimasu (Well, it's high time for me to go, good-bye)" BEFORE someone starts talking again!!!

I doubt this is phoneticaly correct but would this be acceptable as a way of ending a conversation?

"iniku shitsurei shinakaraiba naranain desu"

I understand it means, "unfortunately I have to leave" but would it make sense in the context of just ending a conversation your having with somebody you've met in the street?

I think Yamakashi sometimes speaks too casual J phrases which means he has studied / learned hard.

"Honjane" works good with your friends in casual situation but it does not in some special situation like you visit your J girl friend's parents for the first time.

Be careful!

:rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
I generally use ほんじゃあね! with my mates and what gamera said for others...
hmm, don't hear that too much around Tokyo.

btw, did you take the JLPT? Get your level 1?

The best way of dealing with this is to be so consistently obnoxious that nobody would spend a moment more of their time in your presence than they really have to, thus ensuring that these awkward moments never arise. If any misunderstanding still arises, a loud 以上です;! should clear it up.