400 years ago to the day.....

Guy Fawkes and his cohorts nearly altered history but failed.

36 barrels of gunpowder would have caused a blast which would have killed the king, his direct heir, the Privy Council, the law lords and the bishops....but alas the only ones letting of gunpowder have been children all around the world for generations after the event.

Bizarre celebration often ruined by idiots but ripping good fun.

Bonfire night - had some fun times there. Haven't experienced a bonfire night in the UK for over 15 years now... changed much?

I hear there are more fireworks going off on New years eve now than on Nov 5th.

i don't care how old i am, this time in japan im going to blow money on a BB gun and fireworks, its one of those childhood dreams i just have to fulfill

i went into a BB gun store in sapporo and was amazed by how realistic those guns are! almost exact replicas... sweet \:D

Quote:
Originally posted by Yamakashi:
Didnt the Chinese invent gunpowder and the Japanese fireworks?
yes, but it was the British (followed by continental Europeans) who engineered effective ways to penetrate armour, destroy ships and generally kill people with gunpowder, rather than make pretty superficial shows with them like the Asians of the day were doing. One reason why the western world dominates the last few centuries.

On Friday night I was taking off in a plane. Looking out the window at about 500m the ground was littered with noticeably large fires and there were small and large flashes as far as the eye could see. For a split second I thought there was a riot and gun fight. Then I saw some flowery sky rocket explode in a 3 dimensional bubble of colour. It was quite interesting watching the fireworks, exploding above the rooftops that lined the suburban streets below. I swear some prick with a Roman candle tried to shoot us down. Terrorist.

It was the Japanese who developed the triple line of muskets interspersed with pikes for a constantly firing, self defensive formation while advancing or retreating. Oliver Cromwell copied the method in England, and it was used until the repeating rifle made it redundant. The Japanese went from being the most heavily fire-armed nation in the world to the least.

Quote:
Originally posted by merryJim:
What is a BB gun, and why do you really want one?
pellet guns! i always wanted one as a kid but they have incredibly strict gun laws in australia since the port arthur massacre, so even pellet guns are illegal since then
 Quote:
Originally posted by fb_steve:
 Quote:
Originally posted by merryJim:
What is a BB gun, and why do you really want one?
pellet guns! i always wanted one as a kid but they have incredibly strict gun laws in australia since the port arthur massacre, so even pellet guns are illegal since then
I think you are living in the wrong country. Move to America, the land of guns and harmony. Anyone who wants a toy gun is a......

Quote:
A Vail police officer also recognized pellet gun shown in bank surveillance photos as resembling the same one the two had when they were arrested earlier in a vandalism incident.
5145412_320X240.jpg

need I say more?