Your right gamera those types of names are something I never use. I don’t mind taking crap from people, its part of life. I even took the initial gaijin jabs because I thought he was done. but the antas and gaijins and just kept flying. If someone goes to the toroko in kameoka kyoto, dont park across the street, it’s only for buses.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by montoya:
fattwins sorry to hear about it, sometimes shit happens

gamera, how about teaching us a few fighting lines? ore no koto o nameru na, etc
Thats the last thing peeps need to learn me thinks. Cant stand hearing foreigners speaking rough when they cant even speak Japanese. Makes em look like bigger punters than they already are...

FF, you stupid gaijin! ;\) \:D

> Did I loose in the end? Yes I did. I can no longer go over to see my friends at their companies. Also, future employment at those companies is pretty much shot now.

I don't understand this. If they're your friends, and they're paying this guy money, wouldn't the obvious thing for them to do to be to go and have a quiet word with this person? You don't pay somebody to offend your customers, friends, and business partners.

Anyway, if you risk losing business over it, I'd follow miteyak's advice and go and make amends. The gift idea is good, but you don't have to eat humble pie all by yourself - you could politely point out that while you wish to get along, he himself hasn't been helping.

And if that doesn't work, put a potato up his exhaust pipe, and ram it home with a long stick.

Ocean I had another laugh at that.

The thing is he doesnt care about customer service. he has the only lot where a bus can turn around, at the toroko station. My friends say he is a strange man, so I dont want to rock the boat for them. If I try to get a job there next year, ill do the gift thing but I wont take another gaijin slur fest.

went to am/pm in shibuya the other day, finally in tokyo after so many months in the countryside.

a girl in front of me was trying to buy a certain international phonecard but didn't speak much japanese (nor english, she was speaking spanish so i couldn't help) & got really frustrated as the clerk didn't even try to help her.

so she left & the clerk started cussing about stupid gaijin, and how they're all the same and whatever. & i was standing there with my little box of soymilk looking at him, & just couldn't believe how he was going on. so the other clerk pushed him aside & gave me the most artificial 'arigatou gozaimasu~!' while the nasty guy was stilll whinging.

& for the first time ever, i felt offended. i call myself & my buddies gaijin, but the way he was saying it was just not right. & yeah, maybe he's never had any gaijin friends, but still it wasn't cool, even if it wasn't directed directly at me.

the worst bit was that i couldn't tell if he thought

a)i couldn't understand him so it wouldn't matter what he said or

b)i could understand, and he wanted me to hear?

anyhow, fattwins your story stinks. using 'gaijin' as a derogatory term is just not cool & i'm sorry you had to deal with that.

& if you're not in the wrong, i say go the potato & long stick.

It occurs to me that a ski pole would serve admirably for getting the potato up where the sun don't shine.

bettyx, seeing as you can't very well put a potato up the exhaust pipe of an am/pm counter jerk, perhaps throwing a yoghurt at them might have made your point nicely.

Take him some flowers and say sorry FT. I'm sure he'll just melt and give you a big hug lol.gif .

I don't know if I would have dealt with such a torrent of abuse any differently but you probably do need to extricate yourself from the situation.

Actually, you apologising and making amends, with your rafting buddies in support, will probably piss him off, but he'll have to take it for what it is. He'd look like the kook he is otherwise and if he goes on ranting just take it with a big smile saying "Yeah Gomen na". He'll lose that one if you keep your cool.

I HATE people I dont know saying gaijin blah blah. It is so offensive. Like FT said, we dont go round saying Japs blah.

My friends and I call each other it but when strangers say it and bitch to your face assuming you cant understand............faaaarrrrkkkkk mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

bettyx:

Did you still buy the soymilk? Should have told the jerk (clerk) that the same soymilk would taste better from the 7-11 down the road.

Gaijin seems to be coming something like the "n" word for African Americans. You can use it within the group but not outside it.

... and so perhaps it is confusing to some Japanese when they hear other gaijin talk about gaijin with each other.

Many times it is not intended to cause offence. Just today I was talking to a Japanese guy who was talking about "gaijin-san". He certainly was not meaning to be offensive, and I didn't take it as being.

foolishly, i did buy my drink. coming from the country, i tend to forget that there is a convenience store on every corner.

misorano, yeah, i think it's the same for 'nigger', as it is 'jew', 'wog', etc. . my gay friends throw the word 'fag' around all the time, but it definitely wouldn't work for a straight person to use it.

different question: do any americans take offense at 'yank'? or canadians at 'canuck'? i read earlier protests at 'seppo', which is kinda understandable.

I don't think it's the same as 'nigger' at all. 'Gaijin' has never been a term of racial hatred as 'nigger' has, and it only becomes a term of racial hatred when it's used in a hateful context. Any person of good will can tell the difference. I'm too lazy to refer to myself as a 'gaikokujin' when 'gaijin' works just fine, and I don't expect Japanese people to use the long version either. It can be mildly irritating when it's used to highlight your foreigness in cases where being foreign is irrelevant. People, be they niggers, fags or gaijins who use the terms themselves and object to others using them are simply hypocrites.

They've been trying to outlaw the word offically for years now.

We got a list of words not to use in the classroom about 10 years ago. Sure enough "Gaijin" was on the list. Trouble was there were about 300 words on the list and some were just plain silly.

One that sticks out was you are not supposed to say "rentogen" it has to be "X-sen".

Personally I can't see much of a difference btwn Gaijin and Gaikokujin. O11 is right in that it is the usage.

More of a concern the the institutional racism that dogs everyone who has set up shop here long term. Anyone in a mixed marraige will know what I'm talking about. (Get's worse when you have kids)

fattwins- thanks for yr private but i can't send private messages yet.

ocean11 - interesting point. gaijin hasn't been a term of racial hatred? i guess not. but as fattwins showed, it is/has been used as a very unfavourable term related to race.

what is a 'rentogen'?

• SnowJapan Moderator

Hi bettyx - you should be able to use PM's, I just checked your account..... please try again and if you still can't please email us and let us know what you are experiencing at your end. Thanks!

just watching devon aoki on tv with 2 japanese girls.

at the end of the day, one of the japanese girls commented on how lovely devon was, how 'gaijinsan nanoni, gaijin-san pokkunai.', because she was so sweet & has nice manners, & listens really well.

would it be okay to say, 'he's japanese, but he doesn't seem japanese as he's so well-mannered... etc' ?