Anyone want to come and duck ropes and hide from the patrol with me on Wednesday (tomorrow)?

I am not expecting a big response. This thread will no doubt drift to the bottom of the screen by the end iof the day. Poor me.

Where are you going?

Ok, I have a question and I need your help... I am trying to decide where to go tomorrow... however I fear I may have turned into a bit of a powder snob... you see, recently wherever I've gone, be it Niseko, Nagano, Ishikawa, Toyama, there usually comes a point in the day when the snow turns all crusty and it isn't much fun boarding. As it is sunny today I think the conditions are likely to be a bit shit in Ishikawa, what are all your opinions with regards to this? DO I need to go higher to find powder, eg Arai??? Are places ever good on sunny days??? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

sorry you couldn't make it slow, but thanks for the enthusiasm.

In the mean time: wow! those trees at naeba go off. All day, too myself, untracked, steep, perfect tree spacing, no patrol hassles, blue sky, long tree runs. The powder was not perfect and went off in the sun by the end of the day, but there were still HEAPS of untouched shaded lines to do in the afternoon.

I managed a few very long but not so high airs off some rollers in the trees. They were the high speed 3 feet off the ground long distance air travel types rather than big airs. One went so far that I went sailing right past a tree that I had decided to take care to ride around. Hello tree, goodbye tree.... why am I not on the ground yet. Whoops.

There is one big wide and steep powder meadow in the middle of the trees and it was hard to judge how to enter it correctly. It took a few runs to drop into it at the right spot, but once you hit it from the top it was all flying time. I seem to have developed a new and uglier powder style where I have my arms out like an aeroplane with wings that slope backwards. Kind of like an eagle in a dive. Seriously it felt like the smoothest way to 'fly'. And on long laid over turns you can drag your hand in the snow. Man, today I was at one with it all. Totally at peace and in the zone. It felt great. clap.gif

Ftwins - my day tree riding with you recently has set my mind about the whole thing. Today was by far the steepest and fastest I have gone in powder. I owe you a beer for pushing me around the corner.

As for some additional and very useless info: I observed today that Naeba has a massive supply of cute girls. I dont usually even pay attention to such trivialities, but today it could not be ignored. They were everywhere. Like I said, useless info, but an honest observation.

I catch the 4.55am train from my local station, arrive at Tokyo station at 5.50 then I take a shink from Tokyo station between 6.08am and 6.30am (depending on where I am going).

The sad part is that I am only 30km from tokyo station yet look how long it takes at that time of the day to get across town.

mogski-san,

I was indeed alone in the trees. I had a pretty good written guide on how to access the best areas thanks to danz.

I visited the mountain with a beginner friend and shared a few laps of the groomers, but spent 90% of the day alone in the trees with a Snickers chocolate bar in my pocket in case I hit a tree and needed to live for 3 days with broken bones before being found.

I was actually taking it easy given that I was alone. There were so many lines that I decided not to do for the sake of safety. Next time I hope to have a buddy in the trees with me.

Slow-san:

lol.gif yet again you create a laugh.

Wood is good!

Good to hear. Danz is da man cool.gif

Some fine trees in that area. Some fine trees indeed.

I hope to one day grace your lonley soul with my presence in the trees there before the season is out. (He says cinchingly...) Before that I think I need to start running some marathons to get prepared.