I recently bought an ipod shuffle and Im having trouble with iTunes. For some reason all the music has disappeared from my music folder..Well not really disappeared, its just invisible to me and Windows media player. I suspect iTunes has hijacked them and placed them somewhere because they are all visible via the iTunes player but I have no idea where and the Apple website is next to useless. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Its frustrating me as I prefer media player to the iTunes one.

"congratulations" on your itunes.

Have you used the menu option "Consolidate Library"

in the "Advanced" menu?

Consolidate Library is supposed to copy all your music from different locations to your itunes installation folder, and leave the original files at their original position. Maoriboy, check your itunes folder, is your music there?

itunes is God's punishment to happy ipod users

I don't know if it works this way on a PC, but on macs if you go into the preferences, choose "Advanced" and there you will see something that says:

iTunes Music folder location

Whatever is inside the box is where you'll find your songs. You can also reset that to wherever you want them to go.

I assume you should have this somewhere on the PC version too.

C:\Documents and Settings\?????\My Documents\My Music\iTunes

Music will be in your "My music" folder as above

(not sure if this is relevant)

If all your music was .wma files then iTunes would have converted them to .acc or whatever file they use and windows media player can't recognize that

good luck!

Quote:
Originally posted by fb_steve:

(not sure if this is relevant)
If all your music was .wma files then iTunes would have converted them to .acc or whatever file they use and windows media player can't recognize that

good luck!
Good thinking!!!!
 Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:

itunes is God's punishment to happy ipod users
No problems here. You were disgruntled because you found out that you had to use itunes after you had bought the ipod.
Common sense and a little research would have told you would have to use it (after all it is an Apple product ;\) )

Apple are really pushing itunes, if you want to download Quicktime player (necessary if you want to view certain media content -like movie trailers) it comes bundled with itunes! there appears to be no option to download QT exclusively.

Since I was lumped with it, I tried it as a standalone stored media player, it was satisfactory, nothing special, it played the music.

Im not podified, so have no idea of the connectivity issues.

The feature that tells you how much music you have is kind of cool - I have enough to play non stop for 17.2 days without listening to the same song!

for starters, itunes' music list is not very customizeable (is there such a word?)

i would like to be able to collapse "name" so my list only shows artist or album. That is not possible.

I would also like support for more audio types, like wma and ogg.

Itunes memory usage is just too much for low-end machines like mine, playing music and browsing the internet at the same time is a test of my patience.

itunes uses 60 mb of ram vs Advances mp3 catalog's 18 mb. AMC handles a bigger database than itunes. Cpu usage is very high on itunes also, which makes it annoying to use. Scrolling down menus and highligting songs is slow and choppy. I often have 0.5 to 1 second delay on mouseclicks.

My machine is old and slow, but other similar programs runs fine on it.

Imagine if apple made it possible for it's users to develop utilities for itunes. we would see tons of wonderful little programs to make it easier to use itunes, like you see on Firefox and Winamp.

and the design... if i wanted my computer to look like itunes i would buy a mac. In windows i can actually change the the way the desktop look: color and fonts. itunes totally ignore that.

Ok, that was my views on itunes, the ipod connection is a totally different story.

Veronica, did i explain myself?

Thunderpants, you did explain yourself but I don't understand a lot of it. lol.gif

I'm just a regular person who's never heard of "ogg" (?!) who use itunes to supply vPod and listen to my music. That suits me just fine.

Hey thunder,

Go into itunes, edit menu and select view options.

You can de select all the other options so that you can only see albums. But it would display each song still just the title of the album.

Maybe you should make playlists for all your albums. Thats what I've done and it works fine for me.

dims comment X 2!

itunes.jpg

And which button should i click to turn off "name"?

right, it's NOT there

the whole point was to make the list shorter and more convenient to use when you want to select which albums to copy to the ipod.

Because this funcion does not exsist, i can't import all my musicfolders to itunes, only the stuff i want on the ipod

BTW. just making blank fields in the list does not help anyone.

TP,

why don't you make playlists (as said 100 times before)

Then have all the music that you wish to be uploaded to your Thunderpod checked for manual upload( you can do this easily by pressing the apple key and clicking the check button... I am not sure what key it is on a PC)

The playlists/songs that are not checked will not be uploaded to your ipod unless they are already there. If you do a full re install only your selected pl' & songs will be uploaded. and you will be in thunderpants ipod heaven.

Obviously your biggest problem is the fact that this program is not the same as your previous program..duh!

well in case you didn't realise, it is a different program & not everything will be the same.

itunes is set up to be incredibly easy to use, which it is ( on a mac)

Indo, ill try to make some playlists and see how it works for me, but i have so much music that it will take a very long time.

and yes, itunes is easy to use i agree but has limited functionality (for me at least)

the ipod has a great little menu system that does excatly what i am missing in itunes.

and no i don't eat a lot of fruits

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderpants:
Indo, ill try to make some playlists and see how it works for me, but i have so much music that it will take a very long time.
mate, you need to use the smart playlist function. If your music is correctly tagged then making a playlist will take 30 seconds.

One thing I like about iTunes is that is is clean and simple and doesn't come with a suite of ugly 'skins'.

iTunes is just a simple database gui.