A few questions for the Kiwis on here

Hey guys and gals,

I'm seriously considering a move to the great land of New Zealand very soon and was wondering if I could get some first hand opinions on the place. I've already started my 'Expression of Interest' form and have taken the pre-qualification quiz (and more than passed). There is always information that you can find online, but I'd like to hear it from the people that call NZ home.

I'm looking at the Christchurch and Dunedin areas right now. I actually have some job leads that may pan out in these places.

1) How much American materialism has invaded NZ? For example, is reality TV, the Atkins diet craze and other crap like that pervasive in NZ?

I only ask the above because I really want to get away from this shit if possible. I just spent a week in the midwest of the US and couldn't believe how bad things had gotten in the last 5 years.

2) Is there a 'victims' culture in NZ like in the US or are people more likely to be responsible for their own actions?

3) How is the quality of living? Do people enjoy what they have or are they always wishing for more?

4) Crime - this is a biggy for me. Are people respectful of others? Is crime prevalent and what are the general citizens views on crime and punishment?

I'll stop there for now. I know these questions sound obscure, but I'm asking them for a certain reason. Actually, just ANYTHING you could tell me about living and working in NZ would be greatly appreciated.

Just to let you know a little about where I'm coming from - After coming back from my business trip, I found that my place had been broken in to, everything of value stolen and my place was trashed. This just happened two days ago. I 'thought' I lived in one of the safer places in the US. Hell, I thought I had found my Shangri La. Apparently not. I could never leave my place in the future and not be worried about this happening again.

The grass isn't always greener, but dammit, I'd like to find out. I'm fed up with my birth country and I have the power to change this. I had to go buy a new 9mm hand gun today just so I can sleep in peace (my other guns were stolen of course - it is Alaska). Stupid - yes, but I feel it's a necessity right now. This is NOT how I want to live, however, and this is one reason I'm looking for a change.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I really appreciate any responses.

PS - spent some time with some blokes from Liverpool last week. Great guys! I had a lot of fun talking about travelling and other topics with them. Unfortunately, they claim the UK is just as bad as the US in many regards. I hope the same doesn't hold true for NZ.

Quote:
I'm seriously considering a move to the great land of New Zealand
nice! especially form a Geomorphological angle.

Quote:
I'm looking at the Christchurch and Dunedin areas right now. I actually have some job leads that may pan out in these places.
go with Chch, Dunedin is a University town, Chch is more central in the South Island, more to do, cool city ( also I am biased!)

Quote:
1) How much American materialism has invaded NZ? For example, is reality TV, the Atkins diet craze and other crap like that pervasive in NZ?
Sadly all the crap that is on Ameriacan TV is also on TV in NZ, we lap it up too, American culture through movies and TV, fads and fashions filters down to NZ months after they are popular in the US. So to an extent the materialism is there but I dont NZ has sunk to the same decadence yet. Any Westernized country in the world would yield the materialism you want to avoid.

Quote:
2) Is there a 'victims' culture in NZ like in the US or are people more likely to be responsible for their own actions?
I would like to think so, there are certain groups in NZ who portray themselves as victims, just like anywhere else.

Quote:
3) How is the quality of living? Do people enjoy what they have or are they always wishing for more?
Itsa comfortable life, the great outdoors is easily accessable, the rest of the world is not and travelling out of NZ to the rest of the world is pricey, Internet etc is lagging behind the rest of the world, electronic goods are pricey, food is good, access to organically grown food and cheap vegies.
Property prices a risisng all the time.

Quote:
4) Crime - this is a biggy for me. Are people respectful of others? Is crime prevalent and what are the general citizens views on crime and punishment?
Crime is there, recently in NZ news assault and muggings and a murder of toursits has been big in the news.
Burglaries, theft, gangs and the rest are all there sadly, most citizens like anywhere want action and support tough justice.

sorry to hear about your loss, that really sux.

Sorry to hear about all the grief you've experienced - I imagined Alaska (of all places) would be relatively safe? Go figure.

Recently returned from a sojourn in NZ - talking to locals and seeing TV doco's about this topic. Apparently a lot of 'northerners' are migrating to NZ because of crime levels in their homeland/s and recent terrorism incidents. (They're referred to as 'survivalists!)

This has lead to price hikes throughout NZ, thus creating an 'us and them' mentality, whereby many locals can't afford to purchase houses, etc because of the boom. \:\(

I just hope the fly-in's don't bring their problems with them. Like Oz, NZers are happy to accept trained/educated immigrants, as long as they conform to 'our' lifestyle. \:\)

Best to try before you buy though. Good luck - you should enjoy NZ - a great 'clean & green' outdoors culture.

Plucky, pm me re christchurch if you don't get a response from a christchurchian. I think it's a pretty nice place (as a visitor) and I know somebody who spent close to two years there (moved back for work reasons).

Quote:

I just hope the fly-in's don't bring their problems with them. Like Oz, NZers are happy to accept trained/educated immigrants, as long as they conform to 'our' lifestyle. \:\)
It sounds like you're describing Californians invading my home state of Oregon \:\)

I agree with you though. I'd like to choose a place to live with people who hold decency as a respectable value. What's so wrong with that?

I'd make Japan my home if it weren't for the racists and the Americans stealing stuff from me. I've tried it - remember ;\) I could go back to Misawa right now if I wanted to. I may. I like Japan a lot - I really do. I just want to do something different and live somewhere I can actually speak the language \:\) The jobs in Germany just haven't materialized (really, I've looked in to it - I speak decent German).

Thanks for the replies and I really hope to hear some more.

sava - let me check some more stuff out and I just may indeed be PM'ing you. thanks for the offer man.

Done a bit of checking, Plucky, and your safest bet in the developed world appears to be Northern Ireland. Forget Oz and NZ, they're dangerous places (more than the U.S.)

As for the reality TV et al... that's pretty damn universal now.

Hey Plucky,

Sorry to hear about that brah! I've been robbed on the Big Island and in China Town, Oahu (they even took all of my shoes once}. The feeling of being violated is very annoying, to say the least. If you do head off to NZ let me know... I wanted to visit AK but NZ is another place I've been wanting to visit. Best of luck to you!

This last incident was the last straw. It is not the ultimate reason. I obviously like to travel and explore new places. In doing so, I've discovered that there are other ways to live. I like this fact.

I feel I've gotten the proverbial kick in the ass, so to speak. No reason not to check it out. Who on this Earth says I have to commit myself to one country? Okay, don't answer that. I'll find out on my own.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kintaro:
Hey Plucky,

Sorry to hear about that brah! I've been robbed on the Big Island and in China Town, Oahu (they even took all of my shoes once}. The feeling of being violated is very annoying, to say the least. If you do head off to NZ let me know... I wanted to visit AK but NZ is another place I've been wanting to visit. Best of luck to you!
Hey L~

It's not about getting robbed. I got speakers stolen out the back of my jeep 3 times at Sugar!

I've been robbed before. Just not in a place that was so supposedly safe. Some things happen that just change your perception on things. It's been bad up here bra. Iniki bad.

It's not my friends that scare me, it's the guys I never see. You know what I mean. HI bad that way.

Sorry about this Plucky, it must feel horrible.

I liked Christchurch (as a visitor). It is clean and neat and well laid out. It's a bit of a hike south or west to get to the mountains, but South Island is the place to be for big empty spaces. Kiwis are very keen on- and protective of their land, and there's lots of places to go.

Make of the crime stats what you will, but living in the UK, Australia and now Japan, I've never felt the need to carry a gun.

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
Sorry about this Plucky, it must feel horrible.

I liked Christchurch (as a visitor). It is clean and neat and well laid out. It's a bit of a hike south or west to get to the mountains, but South Island is the place to be for big empty spaces. Kiwis are very keen on- and protective of their land, and there's lots of places to go.

Make of the crime stats what you will, but living in the UK, Australia and now Japan, I've never felt the need to carry a gun.
eh? I don't think you quite understand......

Clearly not. I read your first post as a general question about New Zealand and Christchurch, and I tried to give you an outsiders perspective.

I read this:

" I had to go buy a new 9mm hand gun today just so I can sleep in peace (my other guns were stolen of course - it is Alaska). Stupid - yes, but I feel it's a necessity right now. This is NOT how I want to live, however, and this is one reason I'm looking for a change."

as meaning that you don't feel safe in your home without a gun. I was trying to point out that though you can never get away totally from crime, in much of the OECD it doesn't involve guns.

Sorry.

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
Clearly not. I read your first post as a general question about New Zealand and Christchurch, and I tried to give you an outsiders perspective.

I read this:
" I had to go buy a new 9mm hand gun today just so I can sleep in peace (my other guns were stolen of course - it is Alaska). Stupid - yes, but I feel it's a necessity right now. This is NOT how I want to live, however, and this is one reason I'm looking for a change."
as meaning that you don't feel safe in your home without a gun. I was trying to point out that though you can never get away totally from crime, in much of the OECD it doesn't involve guns.

Sorry.
Damn, sorry Soubriquet. I quoted the wrong post out of haste. First time I've been back to check in a couple of days.

Thanks for the words. I apologize for my ignorant mistake.......

Plucky, no problem. Good luck. When I first came to Oishida, I locked the front door after coming home last. In the morning, my father-out-law (87) complained that the door was broken. Locking the front door at night didn't compute.

• 2 weeks later...
 Quote:
Originally posted by sava:
Plucky, pm me re christchurch if you don't get a response from a christchurchian. I think it's a pretty nice place (as a visitor) and I know somebody who spent close to two years there (moved back for work reasons).
Crossbow death self defence, jury finds
18 October 2005

Crossbow killer Dean Pender has been found not guilty of murder.

A jury of eight men and four women deliberated for just on five hours today before finding that Pender, 22, acted in self-defence when he shot Anton Nauer with a hunting crossbow in an altercation outside Pender's home last December.

In final submissions during the seven-day trial in the High Court at Christchurch, defence lawyer, Doug Taffs, told the court Pender had waived the option of being found guilty of manslaughter. He challenged the jury to convict him of the full charge of murder or let him walk free from the court.

Crown prosecutor Phil Shamy said Pender could not rely on that defence because he had been the one to attack when Mr Nauer was threatening to use num-chukkas, a martial arts weapon, in the confrontation in the Christchurch suburb of Wainoni.

Pender had used "lethal force" force, which was out of proportion to the threat he faced. However, the jury agreed with the defence submission and Justice Hansen discharged Pender amid chaotic scenes in court.

The jury was told the background to the clash had been the acrimonious aftermath of Pender's three-year relationship with Natasha Woolfe.

The trouble began with a chance meeting between Pender and Ms Woolfe at a central Christchurch burger bar.

Within minutes, Pender had punched a female friend of Ms Woolfe, and Ms Woolfe's group hurled bottles at Pender's car.

Pender later went to Ms Woolfe's house and smashed a window.

Ms Woolfe demanded he pay for the damage and he told her to come around to his house to get it.

Instead of Ms Woolfe going to the house where she had once lived with Pender, three men, including Mr Nauer, went in her place.

Mr Nauer had armed himself with a set of martial arts num-chukkas and was swinging them while allegedly advancing on Pender when he was shot in the abdomen at point-blank range.

The prosecution alleged Pender took "a pre-emptive strike with a lethal weapon".

The arrow pierced Mr Nauer's liver and hit his spinal cord. Mr Nauer was able to run for only a short distance before collapsing. He died soon after.

Plucky others have pretty much summed up Christchurch and the South Island quite well. You can PM me about moving to NZ if you like. I'll be back there at Xmas time, so I may have a bit more perspective about the place at that time.

It's basically a nice and fairly safe place if you lead a family type life I guess. Go out at night drinking and you can quite easily come across aggro. Sometime random aggro or robbery etc will come and find you despite your best efforts to avoid it.

If you can avoid people like Dean Pender it's fine. I can just see the guy now, with his mullet and a black jersey tucked into his black jeans secured with a studded belt. At least that's how dudes like him dressed 10 years ago lol.gif .