TOP TIP:

Don't book a BA flight for summer. It will more than likely get delayed or cancelled due to a strike by either the BA staff or by a strike called on by the sacking of people who work at a company that the brother of a BA baggage handler dude works for (that really makes them mad).

Other times of the year may also be prone to some other kind of strike by the "workers" (who actually get a bonus for not taking too many sickies!)

----

I hear that the flight to Narita last week when the strike was on was just about to chocs-away when the strike started. Everyone was in the plane for 8 HOURS before they let them off (?!?)

I've already got one booked for this weekend \:\(

When I heard about the strike I thought 'oh damn'

Do you know if it's likely that there will be more industrial action over the next 3 weeks? \:\)

also how about dont fly on one of the dodgiest unsafe airlines around - JAL.

Their planes are falling to peices on a daily basis. First world nation with a disgraceful 3rd world airline.....

I think a lot of airways are going to be in trouble due to petrol prices over the next few years. Most have hedged on petrol prices being at approximately $US45 a barrel. Currently they're much higher and it doesn't look like it's coming down.

Quote:
Originally posted by snowglider:
First world nation with a disgraceful 3rd world airline.....
That is exactly the verbal feedback I gave Air NZ, however my disgust was based on the overhead projector style tv screen on each bulk head rather than personal screens for each seat. Speaking of seats, a secretary’s chair is more comfortable than an Air NZ seat. I flew 23 hours Ldn to Fiji on secretary chair watching 3 rubbish movies on a washed out projected image 10 rows in front of me. Never, ever again will I fly Air NZ.

yep Potato man I will whole heartedly back you up on that

http://www.snowjapanforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/8/1494/2.html?#000025

I gave them a solid lambasting in this post.

Though in regards to the entertainment situation I do believe AirNZ have a booking for new airbus planes with a modern in seat entertainment system.

"Our new in-flight entertainment will be available for travel between Auckland and San Francisco from 7 August 2005, and will then be progressively available, starting with flights to London and selected Los Angeles flights from

5 November 2005."

Bad timing BPC for you that was.

7th Aug..... pricks, I just missed out on the phase in. It really was bad.

Speaking of airline/travel hassles, try and avoid doing a USA transit. I had no idea how much of a hassle things are in the Nazi States of America. I had to switch to another Air NZ flight in LAX, a 45 minute transit. This required completely clearing immigration, passport stamped, collect bags, clear customs, exit airport, check-in bags again (made harder by having oversized luggage - three surfboards in one bag), go through full security screening and clearance, find gate and board next flight. It is 45 minutes of pure mania.

Whilst enduring this circus (in both directions) I noticed that the Nazi States of America immigration clerks carry side arms. That's right, the tool that checks your green form, asks where you are coming form and stamps your passport is comfortably seated in their booth with a gun! I thought the left and right finger printing and digital photo was bad. WTF do they need guns for?

I was astounded by the rigmarole at customs in Guam, I mean really its GUAM! a small piddly Island in the Pacific. I was thinking at the time how bad it must be trying to get into the mainland.

Compared to the illiterate slobs that begrudgingly perform the job of passport clerk in Australia, the American clerks were clearly well presented, efficient, skilled and courteous. I give them credit for maintaining a high interpersonal standard whilst performing what must be a dreadful job. Pity about the riot cop gear strapped around their waists.

In copenhagen at the moment, but my BA flights over from Aus were a joke. Due to the problem with meals, there were supposed to be meals provided at airports. At Bangkok airport we were told to seek out 'Thai restaurant'. For our 90 min stop over, it took us about 60 minutes to find the restaurant which was then completely full because only a small number of seats had been allocated for the BA travellers.

stupid!