How much will petrol/gasoline cost next winter?

I don't think it's wrong at all, it will encourage more efficient use of the resources that we have which can only be a good thing. I see nothing wrong with having access to stuff, but waste is disgusting

I'm not against capitalizing on the price of oil...any one else seeing some profits from the current environment?

By the way, Ocean, probably the strangest place to air this but I couldn't find that old thread about ethical investments so let me highjack this thread for just a moment. 3 funds I've recently taken a look at that are "socially responsible" are the Calvert Social Investment Equity(CSIEX), TIAA-CREF Social Choice Equity (TCSCX), And the Vanguard Calvert Social Index (VCSIX).

Does anybody remember the oil shocks of the 70s?

About all I remember sitting on the bog when all the lights went out, and spending several evenings dining by candlelight when power cuts hit. Those oil shocks resulted in some remarkable advances in fuel efficiency.

Quote:
Originally posted by soubriquet:
So what's the consumption?
The onboard computer estimated 23.7 kms/litre - which may not be 100% accurate - but close.

In the US last weekend, a Prius was driven non-stop on streets near Philidelphia until it went through a tank. Final (US) numbers: 1397 miles! 109.328 MPG! 12.78 gallons.

The story is here: http://www.priuschat.com/forums/1-vt10705.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Yes, I remember. I'd spent all summer working for an industrial removalists, moving all the tools of a heavy manufacturing company from a Dickensian factory into new premises. They'd borrowed heavily to fund the move, completed just as fuel prices went up and their market evaporated. Sad.

They don't make cars like they used to, thank god. An 850 Mini, equipped with no more than lights, wipers and a heater, used to give me about 33mpg. Now, my Legacy techno wagon, loaded with gizmology to ensure my comfort and survival (excellent, I approve of that) gives me nearly the same.

I remember the power cuts of the 70s but thought they were due to the miners going on strike and depriving the power stations of coal. FWIW, Thatcher made sure they were huge stockpiles of coal before taking the miners on, some say in revenge for Heath, in the 80s. It was before the "dash for gas", so Britain was still burning lots of coal at the time.

As for the original question, I reckon we'll see 155 yen by the end of the year.

When you fellas are talking about prices are you meaning regular or Hi Oc?

Fjef, thats some pretty impressive mileage! I was getting 188km out of around 40 litres of Hi Oc. Now that I put a new ECU in getting round 160km per tank!

Sava: No, as soubriquet says, it's for hot water and central heating so that we don't open the windown to ventilate any. No kerocine smell. I don't think people are happy if they need to open the window to do that at night in winter lol...... eek.gif