Previously, many of the people I worked with liked waffles. Now, not one of my coworkers likes them, quite a few have expressed indifference and some openly hate them.

Have times changed?

Are Waffless passe?

Why am I here?

It usually takes a while for it to sink in that waffles are not some wonderful rare delicacy but just a kind of stodgy batter thing made beguiling with cream, syrup, and hype. Especially hype - like Belgian beer and chocolate.

Potato waffles on the other hand can be pretty good.

I like all kinds of waffles.

Well, any I remember trying anyway.

Have they every been "fashionable"?

I like Belgian chocolate too.

I've never tried Belgina beer... not missing much?

Great winter food.

Love 'em almost as much as pancakes - with the same toppings too = maple syrup and a good quality vanilla ice-cream.

Melted butter and syrup is nice too! So is sugar and lemon!! clap.gif

I'm as enthusiastic about 'em as Cheeseman is about cheese ... well, almost. ;\)

I’m not sure if they can be classed as waffles per se, but in northern Europe you can buy these packaged snacks called stroopwaffles (syrup waffles) which are basically waffle biscuits sandwiched around obscenely sweet caramel syrup goop. They are quality. I think you can get them in japan too, cos the really cheap ones we bought in Germany came in Japanese packaging.

Oh, and Belgian beer is the best. I’d highly recommend a drinking holiday there to anyone who enjoys a good beer. Fantastic times to be had sampling the hundreds of different local brews.

Oceans: How is Belgian beer all hype?

I can honestly say, without hesitation, that i have never had a Belgian beer i did not like.

English beers, on the other hand....

Well I can honestly say I've had Belgian beer that was frightfully expensive and not particularly special. Chimay for starters. There are far better English, German, Italian, Greek and other beers at much more drinkable prices.

> How is Belgian beer all hype?

Well, first, I didn't say 'all' hype. There are some good ones, no doubt. What I'm talking about is folks who say 'Belgian beer is the best' in that categorical way. That's nothing but hype.

Quote:
Originally posted by spook:
stroopwaffles (syrup waffles) which are basically waffle biscuits sandwiched around obscenely sweet caramel syrup goop. They are quality. I think you can get them in japan too, cos the really cheap ones we bought in Germany came in Japanese packaging.
Yes you can get them here, but only the 'Kanjers' brand. Those aren't as good as the real "Goudse Stroopwafels".

Maybe something for Cheesman to try Stroopwaffles and cheese both from Gouda.