was this the chick that flew outta Brisbane and was found with a lot of weed in her bodyboard bag? Wasn't there a story that it was Brisbane customs who did it while running a detection test for their dogs but the dogs didn't find it in time?!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did Brisbane Customs actually own up to planting the heroin in her bag? If so, why is she still in Jail?

What about this guy.....

Quote:
A British man said to be suffering from bipolar disorder is set to be executed in China for smuggling heroin.

Akmal Shaikh due to be executed in China

Father of three Akmal Shaikh lived in Kentish Town, London

North Londoner Akmal Shaikh, 51, suffers from delusions as part of his condition according to legal charity Reprieve.

Reprieve says Mr Shaikh travelled to China to get a record contract for a song he had written which he believed would usher in world peace.

The father of three was targeted by a gang of drug dealers who saw him as someone who could be easily manipulated, the charity said on its website.

The gang apparently promised to help him record his song and travelled to the airport with him on the pretence of catching a flight.

But, when they arrived, the leader of the gang reportedly told Mr Shaikh there was only one seat left on board, and asked him if he would take his suitcase for him when he flew.

Mr Shaikh was arrested in Urumqi in China's western Xinjiang region in possession of 4kg of heroin.

He said he did not know the drug was in the bag and appealed against his conviction.

Gordon Brown

PM contacted Chinese authorities

Gordon Brown has spoken to Chinese authorities urging them to take Mr Shaikh's mental health into account when considering the appeal.

But the appeal has been rejected and Mr Shaikh's execution looks set to go ahead.

A spokesman for the Foreign Office said: "We can confirm that Chinese authorities have informed us that Akmal Shaikh is due to be executed on 29 December. We are alarmed and deeply concerned at this news."

A medical report from Dr Peter Schaapveld, a forensic psychologist, said it was very likely that Mr Shaikh's strange behaviour would have been "influenced or caused by" a mental illness.

Mr Shaikh would become the first EU national to be executed in China in 50 years.

Would be much better if Schapelle had've been executed as well! We wouldn't have to hear about her plight anymore. I didn't care when she was caught and I don't care anymore now.

Didn't she watch Banged Up Abroad. If you get caught doing something illegal in one of those countries your not exactly going to go to the hilton 5 star!! I understand it must be awful for her but there are a lot of other Aussies in terrible jails around the world who did wrong and are now paying the penalty.

Big news here thurs when she first got busted. Public opinion was very much in favor of her being innocent.

"How could someone so pretty be involved in something so nasty as drug smuggling? "

Her pretty face was on every women's magazine for months.

"How could those nasty Indonesians be so cruel to pretty Schapelle?"

(mind you, it was around the time of the Bali bombings, Indonesia wasn't the flavor of the month)

Then as information about her dodgy family's drug connections filtered out into the media and the women's mags found a new story, the publics interest waned.

Now, no one really gives a shit. I still feel sorry for her still.

@GN,

I feel sorry for her, but I also feel sorry for the others who've been caught doing something stupid OS and paid the penalty, whatever that is!

We expect visitors to our country to abide by our laws, and to pay the locally determined penalty, why should she (or others OS) be different just because they are "one of ours"?

@Mantas, Yep, the story lost a lot of the gloss once a few facts came out - another case of journos not letting facts get in the way of a good, newspaper/magazine selling, story!

Originally Posted By: Go Native
It's only because she is somewhat good looking that the media thinks it makes a good story. No one would care is she looked like a crack whore...

I agree with GN - You hardly here anything of the bali nine and 1 of them is a girl but not as lucky in the looks department, little overweight short hair, a little butch looking!! Funny not seeing her face on the front of all the magazines.

Ah, a "location joke". You had to be there!

The Bali nine were a group of (you guessed it, nine) ausies who were found guilty of carrying drugs into Bali (I think I got that right). I remember thinkiing at the time, there is no reason to take pot INTO Bali, surely there's enough there at a better orice than it can be got for in Oz.

As SH said, one of them is a fairly butch looking girl - the rest are fairly weedy looking blokes. (again, recollections - not necessarily accurate.)

Originally Posted By: JA
Ah, a "location joke". You had to be there!

The Bali nine were a group of (you guessed it, nine) ausies who were found guilty of carrying drugs into Bali (I think I got that right). I remember thinkiing at the time, there is no reason to take pot INTO Bali, surely there's enough there at a better orice than it can be got for in Oz.

As SH said, one of them is a fairly butch looking girl - the rest are fairly weedy looking blokes. (again, recollections - not necessarily accurate.)

she will do fine in prison then, I've seen Prisoner Cell Block H, Bea was a right butch lezza.....just hope she hasn't got a screw like the Freak